Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: a girl kept looking at me at class today. Do you think it is because:
She thinks Im hot 40 29.41%
She thinks Im wierd looking 48 35.29%
She is attracted to my odd nature in a non sexual way 48 35.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Nothing......Except For..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why should the citizens of the United States allow anyone who wants to come here the ability to do so?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because freedom to move on public property (and, yes, across the border into the United States) is a fundamental human right that cannot be taken away by a simple majority vote.

Why should someone born on the opposite side of an arbitrary line be prevented from living where they choose, even if it is across said border?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should never have asked. Your response makes it clear that there is no point to us having this discussion. I respect your opinion and right to express it, but I cannot begin to explain how ridiculous I find it.

As a side note, if it were 11 million uneducated, unskilled, poor, english speaking white people, I would still feel the same way. It's not about race for most people.

[/ QUOTE ]
You may feel the same way if they were uneducated, unskilled, poor, english speaking white people, but I doubt Felix does, as he's willing to make up statistics to support his "brown people are criminals" theory.

But the bottom line is that those 11 million uneducated, unskilled, poor people are 1) the lynchpin of the US economy that allow you (presumably an educated, skilled person) to enjoy many things you may take for granted -and- 2) in many cases have improved their own lives by entering the U.S.; even at sub-minimum-wage, America is still the land of opportunity for those willing to chase it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even people who support unabated immigration and argue that they are beneficial to the economy have to admit that the law of diminishing returns applies. The first low wage worker provides great benefit with low cost. The 100 millionth low wage worker does not. I would argue that we passed the benefical point several years and millions of people ago.