Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Internet provider and router question.....

Based on the advice here - I decided to go wired down to the room I'm renting. I notice when I do an Ipconfig - there is no connection specific DNS suffix on my computer. My connection seems to seriously come and go but.... maybe this is just because we were constantly unplugginf ethernet cables???

Situation is cable from outside to a cable modem - cable modem to a router that has 2 phone lines (vonage) and another short ethernet cable going to a wireless router (for the upstairs people) I'm hardwired as is the landlord to that one for the computers downstairs. Do I need to do anything special in my setup to connect and make the connection better. Should I just do the classic reset on the first cable modem?(turn off for 30 seconds)

BTW - the landlord is being charged for an extra Ip address (from years ago) They insist you have to pay for an extra Ip address if you go wired off a router????? WTF!! This can't be correct and I can only imagine people pay for extra Ip addreses for business purposes. Advice???