Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Re: when to use the semi-bluff

[ QUOTE ]
So it's only a semi-bluff if you're behind?

[/ QUOTE ]Correct.

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is symantics of labeling a "bet" but I've NEVER heard of value betting a non-made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]Usually drawing hands are only ever going to be marginally ahead on the flop, and hardly ever is a drawing hand going to be ahead on the turn. So unless you are planning on getting it all in on the flop, you have to be careful about "value betting" a draw because you might not get to see the river. However, if I think I'm ahead in a draw on the flop and my opponent indicates a willingness to get it all in, it's good to know when you're ahead of villan's range, even if you only have a draw. And value betting the flop even when you're not sure you can call the turn still has value in making a big pot for a big potential hand, which your opponent will be tied to and will likely pay off if you hit.

Slightly OT:
I do remember a hand in 7 card stud where I had a killer draw on 4th street (3 card straight, 4 card flush, and an ace), so I capped it. I managed to hit my straight on the river and he went absolutely ballistic: "You capped it with NOTHING!" Guess that I backdoored it even made it worse, never mind my other draws. Ah well, gotta love poker.