Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Hellmuth & Matusow Side-game aagreement

I was reading Hellmuth's blog and I saw this entry:

August 1

I watched players all day again, and played Chinese poker for $1,000 a point that night with David Oppenheim (who I had never beaten) and Barry Greenstein and was up over 150 points at one point in the match, but quit up 101 points ($101,000). Rather than leave, I jumped into at $100-$200 blind no limit Hold'em game bragging about how much money I won in the old days in the NLH side games. Aaron was in the game, and beat my A-A with 7h-4h, when he opened for $500, and I raised it up $3,000 more (into a $1,000 pot), and he called. Although I lost a lot of money with big hands like Q-Q vs. A-A, and a bluffer in the middle of us; or A-A vs. 7-4, I went off in the game for $100,000, which is my biggest poker loss ever (where I had 100% of myself). I basically gave away the last $30,000 or so.

Since Mike "the Mouth" Matusow is booking me in side games for the year of 2006 (except in Chinese poker, damn!), I actually lost $200,000 for the night. However, I was up $185,000 in my side game book (where Mikey matches my net side game wins and losses for the year in the real world only [no online poker]). Now I'm only up $85,000. Mike and I have capped it at $400,000 maximum, so that I was halfway home to quitting the side games for the year. (I will quit when I hit $400,000 winner for the year, trust me on that!)

I felt foolish being up $101,000 for the day, and then losing back $100,000! Bad management and major titling got the best of me here. It was a stupid thing to do, especially when I had Mikey down $185,000, but we all make mistakes sometimes.

Should be an interesting competition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]