Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Alcohol - Spirits

Seems like the alcohol forum never really got started here, so let's try and start it up again. I'll be stealing from my local wine store's newsletter, but feel free to add your own recommendations, or to subscribe to their newsletter, even if you live nowhere near them. They have some great recommendations to look for in your area.

To subscribe, go to:
The Wine Merchant

[ QUOTE ]
Plymouth Gin
(Gin, England, Plymouth)
E-mail Price $16.99 Save !!!
"Plymouth Gin is hand-crafted in a 150 year old copper pot still to the original recipe. It' bottled at the original 19th Centruy strength, a strength that holds the flavor of our botanicals perfectly. The result is a gin of great aroma and complexity. Makes the perfect Martini and an amazing Gin & Tonic."
-Rated 94/100 Wine Enthusiast Magazine

- Voted Best Gin, BBC Good Food Magazine 2002

- Double Gold Winner, San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2001

- Voted Best White Spirit, International Wine & Spirit Competition 2000

Domaine Charbay Vodka "Red Raspberry"
(Vodka, California, Napa Valley)
E-mail Price $32.99 Save !!!
Ripe red raspberries are fresh-picked and crushed then hand distilled with award-winning Charbay Vodka. No colors, flavors or essences are added. Awesome and very limited.

Domaine Charbay Vodka "Green Tea"
(Vodka, California, Napa Valley)
E-mail Price $32.99 Save !!!
Rare, whole leaf green teas are hand distilled with Charbay's delicious vodka. On the nose, the vodka is almost floral, with remnants of Jasmine tea. Its sweet taste continues on the palate and finishes strong and clean, with a surprising aftertaste of tea, not alcohol. Although many vodkas are used for cocktails, this would do much better served in a chilled martini or straight up on the rocks, much like a cool iced tea. We’d recommend adding a few fresh berries or a squeeze of lemon for an extra kick.

Here's what the Critics are saying about Domaine Charbay...
"The quartet of small-batch flavored vodkas produced by CHARBAY, a family-owned distillery in the Napa Valley, taste even better than the fresh fruit they’re made with."
- Gourmet Magazine

[/ QUOTE ]
To add in my comments, Plymouth Gin is great for those who HATE the traditional juniper gins. And it's a great bargain at $17 a bottle. Some drinks actually call for it over traditional gins, it's a nice change.

As for Charbay, highly recommended. Can't say I've had either of the flavors above, but I've had both the lemon and grapefruit, and they are really, really good. A little pricey for vodka, but worth it. Their only real competition in the flavored vodka area is Hangar One, and Charbay is a little better, though they don't overlap much on flavors, so you can get a full range with both.

Charbay: Clear (grain-based), Blood Orange, Meyer Lemon, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Key Line, Green Tea, Red Raspberry, Pomegranate

Hangar One - Clear (grain-viognier based), Mandarin Blossom, Buddha's Hand Citron, Kaffir Lime, Raspberry

If anyone tries these, let me know what you think.