Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: motorcycle Suggestions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you've got decent hand-eye and you're not a maniac you shouldn't have any trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really wrong. If you don't take lessons or read a few books and take a very slow learning curve, you are extrememly likely to drop the bike.

Jump on the bike to take a quick run to the store. Its not far so i dont need any gear just shorts and a shirt, maybe even no helmet cause its only a few blocks. This has the added bonus of the chicks being able to get a good look at me on my hot bike. So im going, and here comes a red light, i brake a little but instead use some gearing to slow down. OOPS revs were too high, back tire locks, i'm down and under that parked car. Maybe if you're lucky you're okay and only a few thousand in damage to the bike. Plastic gets really expensive really quick, and good luck with your next insurance premiums.

Not sure how many of the states are mandatory helmets but not wearing one is an absolute death wish. When i was in Alaska 80% were not wearing them. This is absolutely idiotic (I guess its an American thing).

Here is a thread very similar to yours.

First bike

rJ_

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression OP was going to take some sort of motorcycle safety course which usually involves classroom and seat time on a bike. These are usually mandatory along with passing a written test at the dept. of motor vehicles to recieve your motorcycle endorsement.

To the OP. When you get your endorsement you can go to a dealer and test drive a wide array of bikes. Don,t get your mind set on one particular style, brand, or engine size.

Once you 've narrowed down the range see if they have 24 hour rental available. Many do and it usually runs around a $100 for the day. This might save you money in the long run.

You'll have a much better idea of style of bike you enjoy riding what you are capable of handling.

My gut says you'll quickly get bored with a 250 want to sell it about a week after you buy it. But you know your own comfort level and abilities better than anyone.