Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Re: An OMGWTF line with AKs

Upon reflection, I'm embarrassed I suggested betting the river. It's one of those awful, "Find out where I stand," bets when that information is of no use to me and only better hands will call. Check-calling the river is much better if we're confident that we're ahead of Villain's river betting range, which is the whole point of the thread.

That raises the question: Why is a turn check/raise not also a dubious "find out where I stand" play? I see four considerations that don't apply to the river bet:

<ul type="square">[*]The c/r looks much stronger. To all intents you're representing a set. You may well get 88 and 66 to fold.[*]The c/r carries "the hammer of future bets," hence also may get better hands to fold.[*]Conversely, you may have the better hand that's in need of protection. If Villain has something like AJ, KQ, even JTs, you'd rather not give him a free shot at a three- (or six-) outer. Admittedly this is the least important reason to c/r, but it's a difference between showing aggression on the turn and the river.[*]The flush draw gives you equity on the turn that doesn't apply once you miss your draw. [/list]
However, that flush draw suggests a great reason NOT to check/raise: What if you're freerolling against AK? A check-raise will fold out a hand that you'd much rather stay in. But perhaps this is offset by avoiding the possiblity of getting outplayed on the river (e.g., bluffed out by AK).