Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2006, 07:42 AM

Default Satelllite bubble hand with questions

I had this killer hand last night where I went out on the bubble in a satellite to the WCOOP main event where they're paying 3 seats worth $2600 and we were down to 4 players.

I posted the hand over at BBV last night as a bad beat but the responses that I got were basically that I played the hand bad since a) I should have folded preflop b) I should have waited for a situation with fold equity and c) villian made a good play by calling since he had pot odds.

Well I think BBV is a terrible place to get strategy advice and while lying in bed I was thinking that although I thought villian was a total idiot for calling he was getting pot odds for his call.

So the questions are:

1. Do you fold AQ 4 handed here? My read was that villian was stealing even though he put in 4 times the BB and I thought he would have to lay down a steal hand even though he might be getting odds to call.

2. If you're Villian can you make this call even if you put me on 2 overs or an under pair giving you the proper odds as your stack is only slightly bigger than mine and losing the hand will cripple you and probably cost you the seat?

3. And related to the above, are all plays strictly ruled by pot odds or do you ever fold knowing you most likely have odds to call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t6000 (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|saw showdown

Hero (t78336)
SB (t242590)
BB (t77202)
UTG (t98372)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, Q.
UTG raises to t24000, Hero raises to t78036, 2 folds, UTG calls t54036.

Flop: (t156672) 3, 8, 7 (2 players)

Turn: (t156672) 5 (2 players)

River: (t156672) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: t156672

Results in white below:
UTG has Tc Jc (straight, jack high).
Hero has Ah Qs (high card, ace).
Outcome: UTG wins t156672.