Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Reopening the betting in the Foxwoods $1-2NL

I'll try to be brief since it's not that interesting an anecdote, but it does show how dealers in large cardrooms can be ill informed.

I pick up kings and after the usual ritual of raise to $15 or so and pick up a few callers, I get a flop that with low cards but semi coordinated (532 I believe). I bet, let's say $25, and get a call then the short stack raises me all-in for another, let's say, $22.

I don't believe this reopens the betting at Foxwoods, but I'm not about to give up expectation to my own nittishness when I'm not even sure I know the rules. So I ask the dealer, does this reopen the betting? I'm told that it does, so I apologetically push all in for another $50 or so on top.

The caller says he doesn't think that betting is reopened -- not sure if he's just taking a self-serving position or actually knows the rule. As it happens he calls me anyway with who knows what, the dealer deals out the board, none of the draws hit and I stack $250 or so. Standard $1-2 hand. I probably would have taken the rest of the chips on the turn -- fold a draw? Why would you do that? -- but it did work to my advantage. I believe honoring the rules of the game, but when the dealer tells me the rule is something in my favor I don't feel obligated to stop the game to argue against it.

But the point is, when I got a chance I discreetly asked a couple of floors chatting with each other. One of them said, "Yeah, it doesn't reopen the betting but the dealers don't know the rules." So there ya go.

I should probably post a summary of my conversation with Mark Rathbun, one of the shift managers who says he lurks on 2+2 occasionally. (Hi, Mark! Good talking with you!) I get the sense that they realize that dealer training is an issue and are working on it.