Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2006, 08:15 PM

Default 2-7 TD, Calling Pre-Flop

Here's another one I don't understand, but I see even good players do it all the time:

Calling a single raise pre-flop, in position, even on the button. In SS2, DN says that it's generally better to raise or fold pre-flop, and if your hand isn't worth 3-betting, it's probably worth folding. Personally, I never smooth call out of the big blind, unless I have a wheel. My reasoning is that I want to get it heads up with position, and I want the blinds out. On the button you have position, but it is always preferable to be heads up as well.

I would assume that people would re-raise with 234 or 237, so does that mean their calling with hands like 256 or 267, in which case maybe they should be folding? If they are calling with weak hands, is it +EV, and if it is, are you giving away too much information? Even with a bad draw, would you be better off re-raising?

A related point: In hold'em, I think it's generally considered best to re-raise from the small blind against a possible steal, if you are going to play, to try to get the big blind out. In TD, should you still re-raise with good 2 card draw, even OOP, should you call with weak 2 card draws or just fold, and should you call with good 3 card draws from the small, or just fold?

I see good players call in position and from the small blind, so I'm just wondering if this is a good idea, and if so, what hands to do it with.