Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What % of time does best hand fold @ 300/600+?
<=20% 31 70.45%
40% 6 13.64%
60% 0 0%
>=80% 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: New grads - poker or job, and why?

Graduated w/ CS degree in 2004. I played half-assed poker for two years around this time, mostly for fun. Did very little else productive. Recently I started taking poker alot more seriously and it's paying off. My two years of experience (ending in a huge burnout) in small stakes NL trying to make it big have taught me alot of lessons. Very happy with poker now, with my new approach and outlook on it. Only thing that scares me a bit is the legislation on it's way to the senate.

I make more per hour in rakeback than anyone I know from college who actually has a real job, and I win far more than I get in rakeback. I recently successfully moved up in limits, just entering mid-stakes no-limit. I forsee more moving up in the future, possibly hitting something like 5/10 NL by the end of the year.

Job prospects have been long forgotten. I realized about a year out of school that I didn't want to be sitting in an office programming. I had a few interviews at some pretty cool companies but I was far from enthused. I enjoyed programming at school, but the prospect of working 9-5 at some random company just doesn't sit well with me. I hope poker remains legal and accessible, this feels like the tip of the iceberg for me.