Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: The Poker Tournament Formula by Arnold Snyder...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fast tournaments you may not see a premium hand before you're blinded out or forced into an all-in with a less than premium hand due to having a low M.

[/ QUOTE ]

And therefore you adjust your strategy because your M is low. You don't adjust it because of tournament speed.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understood Mr. Snyder correctly, then he meant that you should adjust your tournament strategy before your M is too low to take small risks.

You should be willing to take more risks trying to flop straights or flushes early in the tournament while paying for the flop only costs TC 20 instead of TC 600. This advice has to be seen in contrast with usual conservative poker of waiting for good hands while folding doesn't cost much.

It seems to me that this strategy is quite reasonable, because later in the tournament when the blinds are high you are basically playing top pair poker and it's tough to break someone for all his chips with just one pair unless he is desperate and then you can't win a lot of chips from him anyways.

The whole thing reminds me of a discussion with a friend who also advocated playing loose early, while I insisted to wait for premium hands. Our experience proved him right, because he usually doubled up twice before I had played a single hand.