Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2006, 09:12 AM

Default Cooking Question - Pot Roast Meat?

Please please teach me how to make a pot roast! I'm getting a reputation as an awful cook.

I've concluded that there are 4 issues - cut of meat, temperature, cooking time, and cooking pan. Lately I've been using a sort of heavy brownie pan but I've also tried a crockpot too and the meat is still dry and tough either way so basically I'm a loser.

My problem: my pot roast is dry and rather tasteless, but mostly just dry. I was using some kind of tip roast I think but now I'm not even sure to be honest. Anyway, I have no clue what cut of meat is best but I know that I want one with more fat on it.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] What is the absolute best, sure-fire cut of meat for an ultra tender pot roast?
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] How long do I cook this thing so that it is super tender and flavorful? Can you under-cook a pot roast and end up with it being tough?
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Do I cover it with foil and should there be a lot of broth in the bottom of the pan?
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Do I brown it on the stove top first?
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] What temperature is best? (I read on the internet that meat should not be cooked at less than 325)

Here are some of the cuts I've heard of: chuck brisket, top round, bottom round, rump roast, arm roast, blade roast, shoulder roast, top blade, under blade, tip roast and eye round roast. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ? Which one of these is just really fatty and will give me a tasty juicy roast? I'm sick of lean meats.

(If this has been done already I apologize and if you could link me that would be cool.)

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.