Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2006, 04:51 AM

Default Understanding \"Small Pot\" and \"Value Bet\" conflict

Hi all,

I am new to NL but have won consistently at limit.

I am sure it is obvious to you experienced guys but I see a potential conflict with the 2 concepts above. I'd really appreciate it if you would help me understand better. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can see the logic of "small hand/small pot" but more than once on this forum the idea of "Value betting to death" has been suggested as being the key to a good win rate.

Is the "potential" conflict nothing more than picking our spots?

For example, versus a tricky solid player, we know that continuing to pound is only going to induce a fold or cost us a lot of chips if behind (small pot concept employed). However, against the guy who called 3 big post flop bets from me yesterday with TPPK when I had a set, I should be looking to play the same way with TP only?

Equally, against a solid player who checks the river OOP, I can probably assume that he either has nothing of real worth and has decided to give up or he has a medium strength hand with which he intends to call hoping he has induced a bluff. Against him, "value betting" a moderate hand will not be +EV but against the loosie who will call with 4th pair a bet has value.

Is this it or have I missed some important point(s) about when to inflate the pot rather than keep it small with a moderate hand?

Thanks all.

Trevor