Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Slow Playing

Just wondered if anyone has any advice on this. I've recently been burned badly at two crucial periods in a tournament and I wonder if it was bad luck or poor play. Situation 1. Scenario is about mid way through a 1,000 person rebuy tournament I have 25,000 chips twice the average. I hit a broadway straight on the turn, I flat called a bet hoping to extract more on the river (board paired lost to a boat).

Situation 2 was a bit more complicated. Scenario is 5 people left in a 250 person tournament. I have 120,000 in chips 3 others close in stack and one small stake. I had QQ on the button, I had noticed the big blind didn't like people trying to steal, twice before when I raised the minimum from this position he went over the top of me so on this occasion I raised the minimum again hoping to tempt him into doing the same thing. Unfortunately he flat called but... I hit trips on the flop. Once again I slow play knowing this charachter likes to bluff and assumes bluffs when small bets and raises are put to him. He draws to a straight.

So my main question is when is right to slow play, should I slow play trips or straights at all or try to take the pot down there and then when I have them.