Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Must move rule- game killer or savior?

Can someone explain the original logic behind must-move games, from the HOUSE'S perspective, during busy/weekend periods?

I understand that people are wacko about full tables, especially in split games.
I know that the floor is trying to maintain a solid table, but doesn't the "must move" rule do more harm than good (except possibly for higher limit games with no large potential player pool)?

Here's the situation- $2/4 full kill O/8 (non-split $40 pot is the kill), two table with must move, at the Taj. I sat down at 11 a.m on a Sunday, decent fill in the room, people coming in.

When I eventually ended up at the main table, it was later in the afternoon. Eventually, when the must move table dropped to around 6 players, that table died.

Can someone explain why this would make sense, from the house's perspective? Rather than letting two games run with 8+ players and filling in seats with new players, they killed any potential for players to sit down and try out an Omaha/8 game, a kill game, etc.

I know it's all-HE, all of the time now, but that really didn't sit well with me and I thought it was short-sighted. Why not suspend the must-move rule when the crowds are flowing and you have tables to cover the games?

The killed table later filled up with a $1/2 NL game, I believe- that wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it?