Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Did I misplay AA here?

Ok, I can't get this hand out of my mind. If I played it totally wrong, just tell me.

Playing live B&M $1/$2 NL, getting short stacked with $75 in front of me. I've been playing very tight and haven't shown down a hand that wasn't a monster pre and post flop. Early position, I'm dealt AA and raise it up to $25. Standard raise at the time had been $10-$25 but we had a fish who was all-in at some point in every hand he played and he played about 80% of the hands. I prayed he called.lol Folds around to late position young kid who has been playing pretty good cards and doesn't seem to make alot of moves unless he has it or a very good draw. I don't think I'd seen him showdown a loser. He calls and it folds back around. I figure for him to make the call he has to have AK or any pair over about 7's.

Flop comes 10d-8d-7d and I'm first to act. Crap, I don't have the ace of diamonds. I've got about $50 in front of me and the pot is around $55. I feel my option here is to push all-in or check. I hesitate and finally check. The kid already has chips in his hand and bets $30. I have two options again. All-in or fold. A call leaves me with $20 and I'd be pot commited, so that isn't an option. Now I'm thinking I might should have shoved when I was first to act. I go into the tank and try to think this one out. There is a flush, a straight and a straight flush out there, I don't think he has two pair, but a he could have flopped a set. He could have a big over pair but I can't see him betting into me unless he at the very least has a diamond draw. Finally after a minute I decide I can't risk all my chips when I could easily be drawing almost dead. I said outloud, "This is either the best laydown of the night or the worst and I don't know which", and I open folded my aces and the table went nuts. Kid nods and mucks his cards. Most everyone at the table thought I should have pushed all-in on the flop or at least called his flop bet. However, I also know many of those people would have gone broke with aces even if you showed them you flopped quads.lol An older solid TAG next to me leaned over and told me I did the right thing and most people would go broke in that spot. He also said he folded an ace and a buddy at the other end of the table told me he folded the other ace. So in hindsight I didn't really have any outs, but that obviously was not known when I made the decision.

So, what should I have done there. I personally feel it is a push all-in or fold situation with only $50 left after the flop. You make the call and tell me why.