Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Deluxe ICM Equity + Deal Calculator for 2-10 Players

A little while back, I posted a 3-person tournament equity/deal calculating spreadsheet. Here's a link to that post: Spreadsheet to make a Fair 3-way Deal (inspired by a bad deal) .
I later verified that its results were equivalent to ICM calculations. However, it had some extra features lacking in most ICM calculators, in that it allowed you to calculate a fair deal in which money was left on the table (thus letting you devise any new prize structure you with), and it also allowed you to adjust for player skill.

Anyway, shortly thereafter I put together a new spreadsheet with the same features which wasn't limited to just 3 players. I hadn't planned on posting it, but I got a request, so I thought I'd post it for all to see.

Here's a link to the new spreadsheet, which can handle up to 10 players: <a href="http://students.washington.edu/jeffgmh/2-10_player_icm-deal_calculator.xls" target="_blank">http://students.washington.edu/jeffgmh/2-10_player_icm-deal_calculator.xls </a>

Here's a list of features on this spreadsheet:

* Results are equivalent to ICM calculations, which are relatively well accepted as a way to calculate equity
* Lets you calculate tournament equities for all players with anywhere from 2-10 players
* Allows you to adjust for different players' skill levels
* Lets you calculate a fair deal, based on players' skill (if so desired), with money left on the table
* Allows you to define a new prize structure (with deal amounts to match), leaving money on the table not just for first place, but for any places desired.

There is one major difference between using the last spreadsheet and using this new one: this 10-player spreadsheet works using a visual basic macro that I programmed, meaning that in order to use it you have to enable macros and then run the macro. I included instructions for use in the spreadsheet, so hopefully it's pretty self-explanatory. Hopefully the macros don't keep anyone from using the spreadsheet.

Let me know what you all think, and if you have any questions or suggestions for additions.

[EDIT]
I should also mention that I had been working on putting together a standalone executable windows program that performs the same calculations as this spreadsheet. But I stopped working on it because I got bored. The beta version is about 2/3 done, so if anyone IS interested in it, let me know, and I might finish working on it.
[/EDIT]