Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Evaluating Sites/Levels/Games and Tables.

First, if you are raising hands for value on the button, the more the merrier.

Second, I'm OK doky with tight passives to my left. Really, that's the best of both worlds--you can limp in front of them, and you can rob their blinds all day without getting trapped.

Intentionally putting tight aggressives to your left is--frankly--stupid. I suspect the only reason bisonbison gets away with it is that his overall game selection is so good that he rarely gets punished. For maximum profit, it's best to avoid games with TAs altogether, but some games are still pretty good even with a couple TAs. You want them on your right.

Generally, here's what I want.

To my left: Passives, sLAs who telegraph (doesn't apply online), people who play extremely poorly postflop, compulsive checkraisers.

To my right: All other aggressives, people who play extremely well postflop, people with lots of money.

As far away as possible (ie, across the table): Total maniacs, because I can use them to control the betting regardless of where the button is.

Otherwise, it just doesn't matter. Can you see why?

This approach has helped me beat the game fairly well for 5 years. I just do not see bisonbison's approach as helpful in any of its meaningful points, and many of his ideas in this piece are actually harmful because they ignore the most important issue concerning marginal hands--marginal hands need high implied odds, and having aggressive players to your left jeopardizes that.