Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Superstition in Poker...

In the past I've always laughed at the people who really believe in certain hands are good luck and others are bad...or people who play differently because they are "on a rush."

But perhaps they are on to something afterall. Over the past 4 months playing NL Hold-Em, I lost 5 huge pots all due to flopping a set when someone else flopped a higher set. All 5 times, I had pocket 5s. (These were the only 5 hands I encountered set over set). I started calling pocket 5s "My Bane" and started folding them anytime I got them.

Recently, I decided that there was no room for superstition in poker. So I started playing them again. Last night I lost a large pot with 55 after flopping a set - ended up all in on the turn and some guy called on a gutshot and hit the river. Then this morning I flopped another set of 5s, found myself all in on the turn VS a set of 4s, and the guy hit the last 4 on the river to make QUADS.

Honestly, I mean...come on! I am a rational person, but after this string of events, I am dumbfounded, and simply think I was not meant to play 55. Any ideas or help?

Is there room for superstition in high level poker? Any of the pros really believe in this stuff?

Thanks