Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2006, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Dear Abby; What should I do?

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take "showing your age" for $1000, Alex.

While Felix has taken his fair share of pot shots, there's no need to be passive-aggressive, and in just these last few posts you have both made the following mistakes:

- somehow assuming that because there's more 18-24 YOs on this forum that it supports your case

- not realizing that Felix was himself once 22, so not only does he have that experience, he has 18 more years of success and failure on top of that

- variance...of course there's going to be 20 YOs who know more about getting laid than 40 YOs, but the number will be substantially smaller. E.g. women drivers suck more than men on average, but there's plenty of them who drive better than many men, given their huge sample size.

- I'd really like to hear how he is "jaded" to women. He merely told OP to stand up for himself - != to being jaded or a woman-hater!

- the fact that you (GASP) wanted to think about what the woman wanted too is irrelevant as it was laid out by the OP. OF COURSE we care what our SO wants in a healthy relationship. OP did not present such a scenario.

Finally - and here's a comment that while 100% true I'm sure you won't listen to based off of your responses in this thread thus far - EVERY SINGLE GUY I KNOW over the age of 30 just laughs about how much more pussy they could have pulled back in the day "if I only knew then what I know now". This has nothing to do with disrespect for women or rufis or anything, but everything to do with what to say, how to act, etc., based off of past failures.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I was basically insulted, and at the very least dismissed without thought, due simply to my age. Apparently to Felix, that's a big enough issue that I'll play on his terms. If he wants to act like his being 40 and overweight and still able to pull "hot chicks" is something to brag about, I'll play along.

2) Of course Felix was once 22, but who's to say what he was like back then, and honestly, what has changed in the world in the 20 years since. Not like 1986 was probably that different, but different stuff flies these days than back then. Just the way it is.

3) Variance? Well, your example is kinda confusing, but like I said, I was dismissed by Felix due solely to my age and his referral to my being "on Oprah" doesn't much help HIS case now does it? Real good argument there, you don't agree with me? Call me gay (or close)!

4) I didn't call him a woman-hater. I merely think his perspective on this issue is one that I would expect of someone jaded toward relationships. Based solely on the content of his posts and his general attitude toward people like me.

5) I don't necessarily know that Felix does care what a significant other would want, since his responses to me in this thread have completely ignored any content and done things like the Oprah comment.

6) Of course, as you say, people over 30 will look back and realize how much they screwed things up. I don't think that was the issue either until Felix decided to diss me because I'm 22 and OF COURSE I couldn't possibly have any idea what I'm talking about, because I haven't built this off my own successes and failures, and those of my friends.

But now its late, I just got back from the bars with my friends, and after my entire 2 beers since 9:30 got pulled over for some bogus traffic violation the cop even admitted he couldn't actually write me a ticket for, I could use some sleep.

Cliffs notes for the "tl;dr" crowd: Felix thinks my opinion is useless because I'm 22 and thinks I should go on Oprah. I refute his baseless ideas and answer to a list of "mistakes", since I am apparently posting in a passive aggressive tone. Two schools of thought, mine and Felix's, both have had other posters voice support. Different means to similar ends.