Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 AM

Default I announced raise

I think this floor decision was correct, but just to double check...

20/40 limit at Hollywood Park.

I'm in late position, the cutoff I believe, and I see everyone fold around to me. I look at my cards and see AK, so I put out 8 yellow chips and say "raise," like I normally do, even though I don't shout it, and it's pretty loud around the table tonight.

I see the button and blinds fold and then I notice the UTG player has 8 chips in front of him that the dealer scoops in -- only then do I realize I actually cold-called. I stop the dealer and told him I announced raise. He said he didn't hear me. There was action behind me after I said raise, but those guys didn't hear me either; they were just folding anyway.

So the dealer asked the guy on my right, the hijack, if he heard me (I was seat 2, hijack was seat 1 next to dealer) and he said yes, I announced raise. So the dealer was going to say my raise stood. But the UTG player objected to having to put $20 more into the pot this late (which in retrospect is really weird, since he had KK).

So the dealer called the floor, and decided that because seat 1 heard me say raise, I had to put 4 more chips in, and UTG had to call it or raise or fold. The floor's decision was also based on action happening behind me, but that action 1) wasn't based on my "raise"; and 2) might have been different had they known I 3-bet.

Anyway, I know verbal bets are binding (and of course I was happy with the decision, since I wanted more money in the pot because at the time I liked my hand), but it's true that I only put out 8 chips and nobody but seat 1 heard me say anything. I should have paid attention to all the action and noticed UTG already raised. However, the dealer didn't say that UTG raised, nor did UTG say "raise," he just quietly put his 8 chips in and the dealer said nothing.

[By the way, I sucked out by flopping an Ace and won the hand. The button then called for a new setup.]