Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Stock Market: Speculation vs Investment

I just finished listneing to Stefan Molyneux's Podcast Stock Market: Speculation vs Investment and his basic claim is that all of our tax dollars that get put into the stock market through our CPP/Social Security payments are what causes the real short term focus of the stock market. Because there is so much money in the stock market that shouldnt be there, short term investment (speculation) is promoted and long term investment is discouraged. He makes it seem like the government sets the system up for the 'financial elites' so that they can fleece those that have no idea how the stock market works, but are forced to put their money into it. When I was listening I was picturing the government forcing people to spend 25% of their income on poker where the pros basically eat the fish up. Although in this case its worse because people dont know whats going on, they think their money is going to a good use.

My question is what systems are in place that give the elites their advantage? Where do are Social Security (Candadian Pension Plan) payments go to? Is it basically a scam where the government can hold on to our money and not worry about spending it responsibly because they wont have to deal with it for decades? Any explanation of what exactly goes on in a speculative stock market would be appreciated.