Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Tax-based federal income needs to...
Decrease (I wants my monies!) 44 69.84%
Increase (I'm a pinko fuckwit) 13 20.63%
Leave it the way it is (I'm a pussy) 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2006, 06:24 AM

Default Defending the NL Championship...(Go \'Stros Thread)

So, granted the schedule here at the beginning of the season is favorable for the Astros...but after having to climb out of such devastating early holes the last two seasons, I have to say I'm relieved at the early start.

Lance and Morgan are knocking the cover off the ball so far, hitting .380/6HR and .409/4HR respectively. Willy T is looking good leading off, Biggio continues to get a lot of doubles, Jason Lane already has 3 HR's (but a poor average), and Adam Everett has even started off the year with a pretty hot bat.

Oswalt is picking up right where he left off, mowing people down. Pettitte has started rough but I have no reason to believe he won't bounce back. Lidge appears to have shaken the demons, allowing only one earned in his first six innings of work. Backe looked great before he got hurt -- six weeks without him will sting, but at least it looks like he's got quality stuff from the get-go this year. Wandy Rodriguez has been the staff surprise so far...2-0 (and the team won a no-decision in his other start) with a 2.84. Those kinda numbers may not hold, but if he can grab 12-15 wins, that'd be fantastic.

I suppose the whole thing might still rest on the decision of Roger Clemens. If he comes back and can perform like the second or third best starter on the staff (I think Oswalt is now obviously the ace), then I think the 'Stros have a great shot at once again making the playoffs. With all the serious-level arms they've got, they will continue to be a difficult team to beat come playoff-time...my worry has always been whether they'd have enough lineup to get there. So far, so good.

Can't complain with the start...we'll see how things go!

GO STROS!!!