Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Default How do you win at SSNL?

All poker winnings come from our opponents mistakes. Ed Miller does a great job in explaining how one wins money at small stakes limit by explaining what types of mistakes opponents commonly make and what strategies combat that play. As examples, I'll try to hit the high points:

Pre-flop:
Play strong hands and play in position. Don't cold call raises with marginal hands (reraise or fold most hands).
Speculative hands go up in value in loose games, suited Aces, top pair hands go down in value KJo.

Flop:
Understand the strategic differences in playing big and small pots. Play well in big pots this means using extra bets to protect your hand and correctly determining pot odds which means understanding counting/discounted outs. Also, value bet more hands than you would in a tough game.

Ed Miller gave me a great understanding of where an expert player's edge was in small stakes games. I was hoping you guys would discuss what you think your opponents biggest mistakes are and how you combat them. Do you feel like your money comes in lots of small pots where your opponents make little mistakes that add up or mostly in big pots where your opponents make huge mistakes but infrequently? What are the most common and costly mistakes and how do you pounce on them?

I am hoping your answers will help me and other NL newbies have better poker intuition and also better evaluate our games. As Ed stresses when looking for leaks, plug the big leaks first, help us figure out what those might be. Thanks.