Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Marketocracy: Post your best stock and worst stock so far + thoughts

I know it is early, but there has been some interesting action out there.

My best stock is Conoco Phillips (COP) +3.08%
Worst is Kohl's (KSS): -9.33%

Energy has been pretty easy to profit on it seems as buying on dips in the winter, selling into early spring before prices plunge a little, and buying before the huricanes.

The stocks seem to travel too closely together with the cyclical price of the commodity although the same thing happens with oil prices every year, with great predictability.

At one point soon, I would like to grab the historical prices and find the average return of these guys by month compared to market.

My worst performer has been Kohl's which really threw me for a loop. I was in the stores with my wife and it was bedlem in there, so the disappointing sales was a shock. There is great excitement for their stores opening and their advertisements being released. The earnings warning was very unexpected.

That being said, same store sales are much strong than Wal-Mart and most competitors at 4.6% (compared to 2.2% at WMT I believe). Gotta read more on KSS now, although I will probably add to this position.