Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Quick resume tip needed

I'm putting together my references sheet for a job interview tomorrow. I have three strong professional references (two from my current job and one from a freelance gig I do at my alma mater). I have only one really good personal reference (former advisor in college). Is it better to eliminate the 'personal' and 'professional' headings from the references list, leave it with a single personal reference, or add in other personal ones?

Most of the people I would consider good personal references wouldn't really comment on my profession, or don't know me that well. For instance, I could list someone from the board of directors at the station my radio show is on, but I barely know those people. I could list friends or former employers from other fields, but why do that? I didn't want to list two people from my college as I already have one each in personal and professional, but I definitely have strong references there.

Any advice appreciated.

NT
Old 03-19-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Quick resume tip needed

Oh yeah, sorry:

Old 03-19-2006, 07:49 PM

Just list references. Do NOT, under any circumstance, use people who you do not know well or who cant speak well about you. Make sure you let these people know that they might get a call. I also usually tell my references the story I will be pitching about myself so then they can be perfectly in sync.

Also, make absolutely sure they will give you a good reference. You would be shocked how many times they will not when they can speak off the record. Last year, I was about to hire a guy and I checked his first reference. The woman could not stop speaking badly about this guy. I mean, she wouldnt let me off the phone - "whatever you do, do not hire this clown". I was floored that he thought she would give him a good reference.

Why are you bringing references to an interview? That seems a bit odd. Did they ask you to bring them?

Also, just as an aside - do you know how to present yourself well in an interview? If not, make sure you have a checklist. I only say this because I interviewed a ton of people over the last year for experienced positions and you would not believe how many people screw up the basics - chewing gum, no suit, no notebook, bad mannerisms, etc. Missing the basics is the kiss of death.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2006, 07:50 PM

One heading, 'References' will work fine.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:56 PM

I would never even give a personal reference. Is that odd?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never even give a personal reference. Is that odd?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is not odd. I wouldn't, either ... I would only want to list people who could speak to my 'professional' skills.

Who gives a rat's ass if I can keep a good secret, give good hugs or am really fun on the weekends?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:01 PM

Elimiate the professional/personal catagory. You're employer most likely only cares about the professional side anyway.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you bringing references to an interview? That seems a bit odd. Did they ask you to bring them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been told to have them on hand in case they ask for them. Never hurts.

Do you think I should just list a bunch of people from work and school (I'm a pretty recent grad so I have one company to pick from, that's why I still use college as well.) How many is enough? I've notified the 4 people on my list already, I'm very sure of all of them.

NT
Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Elimiate the professional/personal catagory. You're employer most likely only cares about the professional side anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my thought was not just, like, random friends, but people with whom I have done volunteer work, or other civic organizations, etc. But none of them are folks I'm that close to so I'll just leave them off. But I will keep my faculty advisor on the list since I'm a recent grad and he's very dependable for this kind of thing.

NT
Old 03-19-2006, 08:08 PM

nt,

Having them on hand is good. Three professional references is plenty. In most situations, there's no call for any "personal" references.