Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Help me gain weight and also be fit

[ QUOTE ]
I just wrote about this in another thread - IMHO it's better to do lifting and cardio separately (though on the same day is fine). The main reason is just that after big lifting you want to quick eat some protein and rest to digest it, so cardio after lifting gets in the way of that. Cardio before lifting is bad because you want to be fresh and full energy when you lift so you can do a max effort.

Doing cardio after lifting is not like a horrible thing though, it's just probably slightly worse than optimal. Doing like a 2 hour low-intensity jog after lifting would be really dumb though.

You could do a 5 minute Tabata after lifting, that way you could still slam some protein pretty quickly and get the heart racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to think of it, when I do go for a run it is after a significant rest period-- more like a split two workout day.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wrote about this in another thread - IMHO it's better to do lifting and cardio separately (though on the same day is fine). The main reason is just that after big lifting you want to quick eat some protein and rest to digest it, so cardio after lifting gets in the way of that. Cardio before lifting is bad because you want to be fresh and full energy when you lift so you can do a max effort.

Doing cardio after lifting is not like a horrible thing though, it's just probably slightly worse than optimal. Doing like a 2 hour low-intensity jog after lifting would be really dumb though.

You could do a 5 minute Tabata after lifting, that way you could still slam some protein pretty quickly and get the heart racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if it's only slightly worse, i can live with that. I don't want to be going to the gym twice a day.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do your cardio and weights in the same session. Just make sure you do your weight lifting first so that your body has some glucose to run off of, your performance will be better. Then do your cardio after, with depeleted fuel to run on your body will begin to tap into stored bodyfat for energy. Make sure you down fast acting protein/carb shake immediately following the workout.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 AM

Assuming you don't live in a submarine, you don't have to do cardio at the gym. Go for a run, play basketball, run up and down the stairs of your building, jump / step on and off a chair, etc.

I used to do Tabata rows / elliptical after lifting and it wound finish me off nicely. However, as the intensity of my workouts have gone up (especially after changing to supersets in places) I find that I just can't face it at the moment so I'm sticking to playing squash on my non lifting days (another non-gym cardio idea).