Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Live 2/4

A friend came into town this last weekend, and so I played some 2/4 with him as he was clearing his poker discount at the Luxor.

It's a generally loose-passive game, with most flops going 5+ handed for one bet each. I limp ATo in MP after another limper, there's a caller behind me and a late position raise by an older man who is basically still unknown to me. I think it was 6 handed to the flop for two bets and I was in the middle of the pack.

The flop is AQx. Checked to the raiser who bets. I call and one other player calls. The turn is a K, and it's checked to the raiser who bets again. I call and the other player folds.

The river is a brick and I check-fold. I'm not sure how much I like it because I have no specific read on this player, but the general table loose-passiveness tipped me into folding. Basically, I didn't think he was 3-barreling with JJ or smaller pairs, and I didn't think he was raising A9s or worse preflop, so I felt I was pretty screwed and just gave it up.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Live 2/4

Aaron,

Why didn't you check/raise on the flop? What is the pfr range on the flop?

Buzz
Old 09-18-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron,

Why didn't you check/raise on the flop? What is the pfr range on the flop?

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

The game felt like it was never raised preflop (especially when compared to the 15/30 I usually play). Maybe a raise every 10th hand or so? My feeling at the time was that everyone was raising something like AQ+/JJ+.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:07 PM

How about donking? Or do LP-players routinely c-bet 6 handed with a PP?

The river is really hard to say anything about. U decided that in this passive game ur hand wasn't good enough to call for the pot-odds. It's a tough fold.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM

Aaron.. If you are planning on c/f'ing the river, we should be thinking about c/f'ing the turn. I agree that the river is a fold.. no question. There is nothing that he is betting on the river that you beat.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM

Like always your play and thought processes make sense. The problem is your opponents plays don't always. In the 3/6 live game I play in I would have had to call that river. Could be almost anything. Worse A, QT, pocket 7's whatever. Often enough anyway that pot size covers the spread.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron.. If you are planning on c/f'ing the river, we should be thinking about c/f'ing the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gut-shot + he may bet turn/ check river with KK
Old 09-18-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron.. If you are planning on c/f'ing the river, we should be thinking about c/f'ing the turn. I agree that the river is a fold.. no question. There is nothing that he is betting on the river that you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that, too. But the gutshot plus the small chance of being ahead and getting to showdown for one bet kept me around. I wasn't sure how often players at this game would bet the turn and check the river as opposed to just giving up on the turn. Even though I didn't think he would raise KJ preflop, it was a hand that crossed my mind that might bet a second time if it did raise preflop.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aaron.. If you are planning on c/f'ing the river, we should be thinking about c/f'ing the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gut-shot + he may bet turn/ check river with KK

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. we have a gutshot.. but what other outs do we have? Our 2 pair outs are tainted and may not be good even if villian doesn't have a J. An Ace? Not likely an out for us. We are getting about 8.5:1 on the turn.. how many outs do you give us? I can't see having more than 5.

BTW, I doubt he is checking river w/ a set of Kings if the river bricks.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about donking?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's something that didn't cross my mind. I don't think it's a bad play here. Lots of Qx and worse Ax (and PFR's KK/JJ) would likely call along.

[ QUOTE ]
Or do LP-players routinely c-bet 6 handed with a PP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what they would do. I only played for a few hours and wasn't exactly super-focused the whole time.