Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Default What book should I get? (new-ish player)

I've played a few home games over the last couple years. Usually do pretty good. Started playing online about 2 weeks ago. I play 100% cash games so I'm not looking for a sng, tournament book. I'm up about $100 at nl10 Hold 'em, and understand pot odds, what cards I should play PF, position, EV a bit, implied-reverse implied odds, so I'm not brand new to the game. My goal is to play $1-$2 games, and not stick around the micros.

Hope that's enough info to suggest a book that would be suited for me. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: What book should I get? (new-ish player)

1st - The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky

This should be everyones first poker book. Covers all the basics tools needed to be a great poker player.

2nd - The Poker Mindset by Ian Taylor & Matthew Hilger

I picked up this book recently and really like it. I just wish I got it earlier and before I invested any money in poker. Teaches poker attitudes to strive for along with some good bankroll management.

3rd - Harrington on Hold em : Volume 1 by Dan Harrington
Even though this is a self proclaimed tourny book, I think this book is great for beginners for both cash games and tourny's.

I would read those in that order...then read them again until you're comfortable with all the subjects. The Theory of Poker is great for all poker concepts not just Hold Em (although its covered). The Poker Mindset is great for the
psychological aspect of poker which should be learned before you invest serious money into it, which from what you said sounds like you are going to invest some serious money into the game. And last Harrington on Hold Em is a great intro to No Limit Hold Em concepts.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st - The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky

[/ QUOTE ]

I instantly recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read it.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:29 PM

Professional NL Holdem Vol 1.

From there I would play around with Excel and pokerstove.

edit - Angel Largay has a book that is not bad, too. For some reason your post makes me think you are pretty comfortable with math and deriving things on your own. If that is not the case, Largay's book is a pretty good book.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Thanks a lot. I Bought Theory of Poker today, and so far it's been a great read. I'll bookmark this thread and check out all the other books suggested after I'm done.

I've been playing around with pokserstove lately,and it's been a huge help in knowing your odds in certain situations. flush draw, against a set, etc...

Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 PM

i would go from theory of poker straight to professional no limit. i've read nlhe:tap, harrington on hold em 1&2, largay's "complete course", supersystem's nl section. for cash games, TOP and PNL have given me the most helpfull tools. i play 1/2 and no higher, however.