Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Baby Einstein

[ QUOTE ]
I think the thing bottled water lacks is flouride - we're bypassing our own tax dollars in addition to the extra cost of bottled water, and it could be bad for kids teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fluorosis much?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but couldn't it also hinder their ability to reach that stage on their own?

DDY, my wife has her doctorate in Physical Therapy, so I'm just going by what she has told me...sorry I don't have links or anything. Asking the pediatrician is the best way to go.

As for the Disney letter, here is U. of Wash.'s response: Disney PWNED!

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly, mfing Disney. The blatant marketing to children in this country makes me want to puke sometimes, but that's for another discussion.

I'll definitely ask the pediatrician, but sounds like your wife knows what she's talking about.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:20 PM

We still occasionally, and only for a few minutes, put our 9-month-old in his exersaucer (the "circle of neglect") when we need a break from his crawling all over the house and getting into dangerous/germy areas of the house. I swear the kid has some sort of radar for everything in our house that might hurt or poison him.

He's clearly getting too big for the circle of neglect, though, because he bounces up and down very violently and I'm pretty sure it's going to fly apart any day now.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's clearly getting too big for the circle of neglect, though, because he bounces up and down very violently and I'm pretty sure it's going to fly apart any day now.

[/ QUOTE ]
video plz
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM

I love Baby Einstein. It gives me about 10 hours per day to myself.

Kidding.

I work at home, so something like Baby Einstein is great for me if I need to just get my daughter to be still for 20 minutes or so. I generally get nothing done during the day anymore, so a few minutes of peace now and then is nice. I'm interacting with her pretty much the entire day from 7:30am until 5:30pm. Before and after those times, my wife handles the bulk of the duties so I can nap.

Like most things, I feel exersaucers, Baby Einstein, what have you, are fine in moderation.

By the way, tummy time is overrated. My baby HATED tummy time, so we didn't force it. However, when he held her (either in our arms when standing or in our laps when sitting), we had in an upright position from very early on. This, without us even realizing it at fast, helped her develop her back and neck muscles, as she learned to hold her head up. Despite the lack of tummy time, she was able to hold her head up earlier than most babies we know (and all of our friends have babies, or so it seems).

Tummy time is definitely good, though, if the baby likes it.

Basically, there isn't one right way to do things.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM

I didn't mean for this entire thread to be about Baby Einstein. There must be some other, supposedly beneficial, things that you think are bunk.

How about pomengranite juice? Antioxidants?

Anybody skeptical about whether sunglasses really protect your eyes from the sun?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody skeptical about whether sunglasses really protect your eyes from the sun?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think glasses with truly good UV protection do. Sunglasses with bad UV protection are worse for your eyes than no sunglasses, because they allow the pupils to dilate.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean for this entire thread to be about Baby Einstein. There must be some other, supposedly beneficial, things that you think are bunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but you can't just drop a topic like that on people and not expect it to be discussed. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for other things, this is starting to come out, but one easy intuition is that a lot of preventative medicine is useless. Cancer screenings and such. Could be that the cancer appears and then disappears naturally if some doctor does not discover it "early" and bombard you with radiation. (I'm not versed in this so maybe this is just wishful thinking, my excuse for not going to the doctor)
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Baby Einstein is worthless, and may actually be bad for the child. Waste of money.

Anywho, another thing that fits (sorry to keep on the child thing) are those walkers where the kids hang in the air. Bad for a child's development. DDY is right on for what a baby needs. And tummy time...most kids get nowhere near enough of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

for real? The walkers/exersaucers are bad? linky?

[/ QUOTE ]My pediatrician made sure to point out that walkers and exersaucers are not the same thing. Exersaucers are fine in moderation as just a way to keep your child occupied for a short period of time.

But the walkers things are supposed to teach a kid how to walk, but in fact hinder walking because the kid gets used to being supported and rely on that instead of developing their leg strength. Parents get them to prevent their child from falling, but falling is a part of the process of learning how to walk.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Thoughts on baby Einstein, from the onion:

Baby Einstein DVDs Don't Work
A research team at the University of Washington has determined that babies watching television for an hour a day learned less vocabulary than babies that watched no television. What do you think?

Rick Klein,
Golf Pro
"True, but they develop witty comebacks and zingers a lot earlier."

Cynthia Haggarty,
Mail Sorter
"I'm happy to teach my baby personally, but are these researchers aware that everything I know also comes from TV?"

Paul Lamphert,
Systems Analyst
"This is great news. Finally a proven method to get my baby to shut the hell up."