Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 07:09 AM

Default The continuation bet at micro stakes?

At $0.01/$0.02 am I incorrect to be employing the continuation bet eg. raise pre flop with AK, miss the board but it doesn't look scary so I make a pot sized bet. Is this bad play at $0.01/$0.02? I know at lower limits there is a higher probability of being called.

Should I never use it or if so how what percentage of the time should I use it, at this level?

I had some success with it for my first two days, but now after further play I'm beginning to doubt it's a good idea seeing how loose some players are.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Re: The continuation bet at micro stakes?

I guess it might be read dependent then, impossible to say percentages as it depends so much on the situation and players. My sites don't offer NL2 so I don't know how much it differs from NL5. As a general rule I'd say that if you see a player calling down to the river with almost anything - then its pointless to bluff, and that includes C-bets. Against short stacks you risk commiting yourself to the pot, so in position you can consider checking behind. I'm also a bit wary of c-betting on an A-high flop in case I raised with something like KQ as the flop likely helped your opponent and they don't want to fold A-rag.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:56 AM

In my very limited experience (currently playing $0.02/$0.04) I'm finding the c-bet can work very well against 1 or 2 opponents.

Trouble is, the game is so loose, 4 or 5 to the flop is almost normal, and then of course, it's much less likely to do the job. In that situation it's much better to wait until you hit the flop and value bet them to death. (In a manner of speaking.)
Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 AM

If you get that many people in raised pots, then raise more. When I played the beginners tables at Party where no one minded the regular raises I started to raise 7xBB pf and that worked well in limiting the field. If it works, then make larger bets on flop & turn & river too. If people call to light, make it work for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Generally 2/3 to 3/4 is enough to do the job, and I would not really bother much unless you are HU. If you have a specific villain who is calling lightly then there is nothing that says you have to cbet when you whiff. Make a note (mental or otherwise) and just let it go when you miss. Some villains will call with any piece and when you've completely missed cbetting just become spew.

Typically though, in hu situations against most villains, I would still try for the cbet more times than not.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 AM

It's been a while since I've played at this level, but it can be effective if you know who you're up against. The fold stats in PT might help.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM

Cbet works fine at any level. If HU on flop I'd cbet almost always. 3-way I'll usually Cbet or Craise a small donk if I was in position vs. both players. OOP I'll check/fold unless I've got a nice draw or hit the flop- then I'll lead out for a 3/4 pot bet or so. 4-way I'll c/f unless I hit the flop for top pair+ or a strong 8-9 out draw.

c-betting into a multiway pot without a strong holding or a read that all the players in the pot are setmining nits is a waste of money, and this is not specific to any level.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
It's been a while since I've played at this level, but it can be effective if you know who you're up against. The fold stats in PT might help.

[/ QUOTE ]

What should I look for?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies guys. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What should I look for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold to C-bet%