Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Discuss !

In today's games, people are aware that players have HUGE opening ranges on the button, and in general button raises get a ton less respect than they did a year or two ago. People are constantly defending their blinds from habitual stealers, so I don't think raising the button light all the time is a great idea for most players unless you're comfortable / profitable defending your button steals from 3 bets from the blinds.

Also, having a tight range in early position is completely overrated, and in my opinion a mistake for players who play well postflop.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Discuss !

As always in poker u need to adapt so if someone is raising your BTN raise lightly i sure wont open with Q4s against him, and if there are 2 nits in blinds i will pretty much open any 2.

I have tight range in EP if there are some fishes behind me. In tight games with regs and weaktight players (which are quite normal nowadays) i open quite wide so im with u here.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:32 PM

I've noticed this too. I raise limpers a lot from the button and I'm getting played back at way more than I used too. I also agree raising suited connectors/low broadway from UTG/MP is more profitable than folding.

A5 whats your attention to steal?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 PM

first point: i think it's fairly rare at 1/2 to find players who will 3bet from the blinds often enough to make abusing the button -ev. but yeah, against some of these guys, calling 3bets in position with a plan to take away the pot is a great play.

second point: as my postflop play improves, i'm beginning to grasp the extent to which this is true. of course, this is largely dependent on the villains you're sitting with. my utg vpip has jumped from about 11 to almost 20 of late.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:41 PM

if ppl are 3-betting you lightly outta the blinds vs. your BTN, they're just walking into a -EV situation
Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 PM

if someone 3 bets your button open over zero limpers one in 3 times, even if you fold every time they three bet you're breaking even. if they do it less often you're making money from taking their blinds and if they do it more often than 33% of your button opens then you will destroy them.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:47 PM

I've noticed a couple people who think like this A5, and when I notice it becomes extremely easy to [censored] with them in position, squeeze them all the time, 3bet their opening UTG light... its fun really
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM

yeah i caught myself thinking like this a little bit and stopped opening light. then i thought a little deeper and realized how ridiculous it is.

that's why opening so light on the button is great, it's practically unexploitable.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Agree in general. Another point on a similar topic is people who use position a lot when you open the sb and they are bb. I often fold weak hands like Axo, 65o etc etc. Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree in general. Another point on a similar topic is people who use position a lot when you open the sb and they are bb. I often fold weak hands like Axo, 65o etc etc. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Being OOP is the ghey and we're risking a ton of money for 1bb