Default 2nd pair river call?

Button [color=#C00000]MrPlough19 ($49.25)</font>
SB [color=#C00000]polcon ($17.93)</font>
BB Immutable ($51.40)
UTG geograf ($54.75)
UTG+1 Babbsson ($53.25)
CO andrew2577 ($66.29)

Preflop: MrPlough19 is on the Button with 8 T
2 folds, andrew2577 calls 0.50, MrPlough19 raises to 2, polcon calls 1.75, 2 folds.

Flop (5.00) T 5 4
polcon checks, MrPlough19 bets 4, polcon calls 4.

Turn (13.00) 7
polcon checks, MrPlough19 checks.

River (13.00) K
polcon bets 8

ive only joined the table a couple of hands ago
Old 07-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: 2nd pair river call?

if you are raising T8s after a limper, you have to be a good post-flop player, as you will find yourself in these kinds of situations a lot. and apparently you are not sure what to do here, so maybe raising T8s wasn't a good idea. People will tell you to raise anything on the button, but just because that strategy works for them doesn't mean that it will work for you too. They are probably good post-flop players and know when to hold'em/fold'em.
Having said that I'd fold against unknown and tight/passive players. I'd probably call against loose/aggressive ones, as this might be some kind of a busted something.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:37 PM

please fire that turn, for about 8 and get more of a read of what he has with tp, because he knows your cbetting 90 percent of the time raising from button, a 2nd barrel looks like your repping something and even if he calls, we can still check river and see where we're at without giving him free cards
Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 PM

This hand doesn't make much sense to me. You just joined the table, so you have no idea how anybody there plays. So first, why make any play here at all? Take a couple of orbits and learn the table so you know what you're up against.

Instead, you make a standard button play. I'm surprised you only had one caller.

Your play on the flop is good, but what happened after that? You check the turn and then wonder if you should call the river. If you're going to call the river, why check the turn?

I assume you checked because you weren't sure where you were in the hand, not because you thought top pair weak kicker was a dominating hand and you were trapping. Checking doesn't tell you where you are. Betting does.

His call on the flop just tells me that he isn't a chump who is going to roll over on a standard button play from the new guy at the table. It doesn't necessarily mean strength. Again, had you waited a couple of orbits you might know more about what his call means.

It's at the turn where you need to figure out what you are going to do on the river. The SB has $11 left. The pot is $13. If you think you are good, put him all in. If you think you are beat, try to check it down. If you try to check it down and he bets the river, fold. Once you make the decision to check the turn, your river decision is made for you. Fold.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM

fold the river - you are beat by a lot here

most of the value with T8s comes from its straight and flush potential. since you have neither here, i think this is an easy fold.

one pair with a weak kicker is about as good as air, imo. you bet the flop, a fold from him would have been ideal, but he didn't fold, so you are left with a very weak pair. easy laydown
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM

i was thinking if he knows that im cbetting from the button alot here then he would know not to float oop, so i wanted to keep the pot small with a marginal hand. so hes either a donk with some crap pair or busted draw, or someone with a brain who has me crushed.

i agree with flyboy though that if i had waited a few orbits i wouldnt have this problem