Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Holdem SSNL Discussion

This hand seems familiar....speaking of limp reraising a LAG w AQ....it felt so dirty....thanks Matt and Sunny!

Full Tilt Poker Game #3058405935: Table Guy (6 max) - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:51:10 ET - 2007/07/25
Seat 1: bmart111 ($111.40)
Seat 2: odub303 ($164.85)
Seat 3: luckyme600 ($103.70)
Seat 4: Hopheads ($103.75)
Seat 5: enfrance ($198.95), is sitting out
Seat 6: goingoin gone ($111.35)
goingoin gone posts the small blind of $0.50
bmart111 posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to odub303 [Qs Ac]
odub303 calls $1
luckyme600 calls $1
enfrance has returned
Hopheads raises to $5.50
goingoin gone folds
bmart111 folds
odub303 raises to $19
luckyme600 folds
Hopheads calls $13.50
*** FLOP *** [7h 2c Jh]
odub303 bets $30.50
Hopheads has 15 seconds left to act
Hopheads folds
Uncalled bet of $30.50 returned to odub303
odub303 mucks
odub303 wins the pot ($38.50)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $40.50 | Rake $2
Board: [7h 2c Jh]
Seat 1: bmart111 (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 2: odub303 collected ($38.50), mucked
Seat 3: luckyme600 folded before the Flop
Seat 4: Hopheads folded on the Flop
Seat 5: enfrance (button) is sitting out
Seat 6: goingoin gone (small blind) folded before the Flop

See my earlier post re: achieving target SPR's through unconventional methods.
EDIT: the villain here was running at 26/17
Ryan
Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, an easy way to manipulate SPR with your good hands is to open with a wider range. For instance, let's say you wanted to get 10% of your stack in preflop(100bb stacks) with AA. A 10bb raise might not get called too often. So you decide to raise with suited connectors from 98-54(20 hands). With these hands, you'd prefer a smaller pot, so making the minimum raise preflop would be optimal(if you had to raise). Also, you don't plan on going broke on the flop with one pair too often with these drawing hands. So you can adjust your raise size accordingly.

[(20*2bb) + (6*10bb)] / 26 = 3.85bb

Now a 4xbb raise prices out your opponents who are hoping to catch a lucky flop. While a speculative hand may have good implied odds against AA alone, it is lacking the proper odds against your overall range.

I could be way off here, but seems to work for me. I don't mind getting it in postflop with AA, even with an SPR of say 11.5, because I know I've priced my opponents out preflop with my raising range.

EDIT: Of course, there are more factors to consider than I'd care to list. For instance, your opponents could possibly profit by 'floating' preflop, with the combined chances of stacking you with a good flop and stealing with a bad flop making their call +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if your opponents were incorrect to call preflop, that doesn't make calling an all-in bet for 96BB on the flop with an overpair an easy decision. and in many cases it may very well be a mistake, even considering your preflop strategy.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 PM

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a mistake. After all, if your opponent only shoved with a hand that beat AA and folded otherwise, you would help him cut his losses by calling his all-in bet, reducing your overall EV. However, if you are unsure of your opponents hand, calling that bet can't be -EV for you in the long run because you've priced your opponent out of the perfect flop(not to mention that you can still suck out by the river).

In short, if you price them out preflop, they can't achieve +EV in the hand by outflopping you.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying it wouldn't be a mistake. After all, if your opponent only shoved with a hand that beat AA and folded otherwise, you would help him cut his losses by calling his all-in bet, reducing your overall EV. However, if you are unsure of your opponents hand, calling that bet can't be -EV for you in the long run because you've priced your opponent out of the perfect flop(not to mention that you can still suck out by the river).

In short, if you price them out preflop, they can't achieve +EV in the hand by outflopping you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand. i think it's important though to keep our focus on maximizing our own EV with every action and decision as opposed to strategies that aim to make sure our opponents actions will be slightly -EV.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you guys seriously discussing shortstacking??? Die in a greas fire etc etc :S .

Name one reason why you would shortstack (expect to annoy other pple which is a good reason).

[/ QUOTE ]

CHOO CHOO

I love the arrogance of 'real' poker players

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah really, idiot.

Im serious, why consider shortstacking? Ur implied odds are killed, more variance and less profit..
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you guys seriously discussing shortstacking??? Die in a greas fire etc etc :S .

Name one reason why you would shortstack (expect to annoy other pple which is a good reason).

[/ QUOTE ]

CHOO CHOO

I love the arrogance of 'real' poker players

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah really, idiot.

Im serious, why consider shortstacking? Ur implied odds are killed, more variance and less profit..

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't necessarily agree with your assumptions about the potential of shortstacking. but here's one reason to consider it: easy decisions.

if you're struggling in your current game, and finding that tough, aggressive, & tricky opponents are putting you to many difficult decisions, playing shortstacked would be one way to consistently create situations where your decisions are much easier to make.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:53 PM

deleted. too trollish
Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

el, oh, el.....derosnec, your sense of humor is the nuts....

guys, let's at least *try* to keep this thread on topic (and flame-free plz)....

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: muchas gracias
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 PM

lol. seriously tho. only 200 hands of the experiment and i ran at 44 ptbb/100. i really loosened up those guys. exhausting tho.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Found Joe Tall's review on amazon. He's already killing poker after reading the book even though he's sucked for 7 years. LMAO.

[/ QUOTE ]
leveled?