Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:01 AM

Default 100 NL, QQ against nit.

Villain is Toluschev, a regular. He's basically a set-miner, his re-raising range is pretty tight. Against him, should I even call pre-flop?

I'm not quite sure how to play this postflop either...

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $121.60
BB: $66.90
UTG: $105.25
UTG+1: $26.40
Hero (MP): $104.00
CO: $102.80
BTN: $107.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1.00, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.00</font>, CO calls $5.00, <font color="red">BTN raises to $18.00</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $13.00, CO folds

Flop: ($43.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($43.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($43.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks
Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: 100 NL, QQ against nit.

Based on your assessment, a call preflop does not seem to be warranted. If his 3-bet range is tight, this should be the tightest of it since your raise represents a very strong hand and it was made against an early limper and has already been called.

You did not give much indication of how he plays postflop. If I got myself into this spot, I probably try leading this flop. If he has KK, he could lay it down especially if he doesn't have the k of diamonds. How much of a bet do you have to make to find out? I think I like a flop with an ace in it better than a rag flop against this player in this case. But everything keeps pointing to you should have folded preflop.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:52 AM

I think this is fine, as long as there is a reasonable chance that he stacks off if you hit your Q. You're risking $13 to win potentially $114.
I'd be more likely to bet the turn than the flop, you're raised and called a reraise, hes not always going to be betting here with KK on the flop. You've got more information and are more likely to be able to take it away on the turn.

Though i think i play like OP as I've decided to call for set value initially. If you start bluffing/betting on flops like these you may lose any profit you gain when you do flop a set
Old 07-07-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is fine, as long as there is a reasonable chance that he stacks off if you hit your Q. You're risking $13 to win potentially $114.
I'd be more likely to bet the turn than the flop, you're raised and called a reraise, hes not always going to be betting here with KK on the flop. You've got more information and are more likely to be able to take it away on the turn.

Though i think i play like OP as I've decided to call for set value initially. If you start bluffing/betting on flops like these you may lose any profit you gain when you do flop a set

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think you can play this for set value expecting to get villain's stack oop given the action, but OP did not state how villain plays postflop, so he would know better about that.

Would you check that flop with an ace?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:33 AM

If you think his range is KK/AA, shouldn't you bet the turn? I'd be amazed if a nit had the stones to check that flop with top set. So if you put him on KK, is he really going to call a turn bet without K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? And if he just calls, you can probably bluff any non-diamond river.

FWIW, I'd probably play it the same, but I do think you can get him to fold KK here.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think his range is KK/AA, shouldn't you bet the turn? I'd be amazed if a nit had the stones to check that flop with top set. So if you put him on KK, is he really going to call a turn bet without K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? And if he just calls, you can probably bluff any non-diamond river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're probably right.

I was too much of a vag to try it though.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're probably right.

I was too much of a vag to try it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a nit, being a vag in a 3bet pot is probably +EV. I don't think it's bad to check it down, but by doing so, you're probably winning this pot like 0.1% of the time.

On the plus side, if you check this down and lose to two black kings, he'll see that you're not going to go crazy against him, and that could help you in the future if you want to run a bluff against the guy.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'd probably play it the same, but I do think you can get him to fold KK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't check any ace on that flop except for maybe ak with k of diamonds. If I don't have the k of diamonds with my ace, I have to assume he does given the action and I would not check the flop. He can put you on a pseudo steal with qq or jj by checking this flop and betting the turn IMO.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:04 PM

I'd bet the turn and sometimes bet the river after that, but mostly check if he calls.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think you can play this for set value expecting to get villain's stack oop given the action, but OP did not state how villain plays postflop, so he would know better about that.

Would you check that flop with an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this call is profitable if you are solely set mining. You will have to put some moves on him to make this the right call. It looks like kings all the way and if you can't take a stab at this you have no business calling preflop. You simply don't have the odds based on stack sizes or implied odds really. You probably need 15-1 vs him but if you are capable of outplaying him post then that number will be lower.