Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 05:08 AM

Default THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: 4th in the Monthly Movie Marathon: SCIFI

Anyone wishing to kick of discussion of the (IMHO) far and away the best Star Wars movie, here's your chance....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: 4th in the Monthly Movie Marathon: SCIFI

I submit that Empire contains the single biggest, most shocking plot twist in movie history.

You know, that the little green Muppet is Yoda.

Just kidding.

I do actually believe that first statement.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 AM

Definitely the best of the 6. There are so many cool scenes in this 1980 movie. I mean you have Hoth, Dagobah, flying through the asteroid field, city in the clouds, plus the first Skywalker vs. Vader battle. Totally awesome.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM

The Empire Strikes Back is indeed one of my favourite scifi movies, and far and away the best of the star wars series. Okay the first Star Wars (ep.4) was cool as hell, and the attack on the death star was very exciting, but Empire had so many elements that were both exciting and actually rather more adult and deep than any other SW movie, it deserves to be considered the best (though Return of the Jedi has some moments - particularly the scene between Vader, Skywalker and Palpatine).

There's a theme here of relationships developing and being torn apart - Han and Leia, Luke and Vader...

The whole battle of Hoth is terrific, as is the asteroid field, and how cool is it to watch a jedi being trained, and facing his nemesis within the sphere of the dark side tree.

The script is also way above the other star wars fests, and I believe it was (Thankfully) rewritten by scripties who knew what they were doing.

Oh and that shocking revelation at the end, and the fact the good guys don't really win, they just escape losing by a whole lot. Luke going to the rescue and completely failing to rescue his friends (who luckily escape under their own steam) marks something more subtle and sublime too....maybe he should have listened to Yoda a little more...
Old 07-06-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The script is also way above the other Star Wars fests because it was written by Lawrence Kasdan, who also wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I submit that Empire contains the single biggest, most shocking plot twist in movie history.

Just kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 19, and what's kind of weird is that this whole "luke i am your father" was used so many times as a joke or whatever, that it wasn't a twist at all when I actually saw the movie. I can imagine how shocking it must have been - my friends dad said it was one of the biggest twists he'd ever seen.

With that said, it was still an amazing movie. As were the other two. Much darker than the other two movies, which for a time caused me to not like it as much, but that's changed and I find it great now.

I still think IV was the best, just because of how original it was and groundbreaking. Even now, that opening scene with the rebel ship and the imperial ship, and then the boarding scene. Nuts.

And I don't hate the recent additions as much as everyone else. I think they needed a lot of work, scriptwise, and acting wise in some cases. Ewan McGreggor saved the II and III, and Liam Neeson/effects/light saber fight saved I. But the little kid's acting was terrible, as was the older Anakin's.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 19, and what's kind of weird is that this whole "luke i am your father" was used so many times as a joke or whatever, that it wasn't a twist at all when I actually saw the movie. I can imagine how shocking it must have been - my friends dad said it was one of the biggest twists he'd ever seen.

With that said, it was still an amazing movie. As were the other two. Much darker than the other two movies, which for a time caused me to not like it as much, but that's changed and I find it great now.

I still think IV was the best, just because of how original it was and groundbreaking. Even now, that opening scene with the rebel ship and the imperial ship, and then the boarding scene. Nuts.

And I don't hate the recent additions as much as everyone else. I think they needed a lot of work, scriptwise, and acting wise in some cases. Ewan McGreggor saved the II and III, and Liam Neeson/effects/light saber fight saved I. But the little kid's acting was terrible, as was the older Anakin's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was 11 when it came out, and I have probably never been so surprised and shocked by anything, ever, in real life or in the movies. The Lucas team asked the press not to reveal the secret and it was closely guarded by everyone. It was amazing how stunned everyone was.

BTW I also slightly prefer the original Star Wars to ESB, but I understand why Ep V is so highly favored. Trying to pick my favorite among the three originals is like trying to decide which one of my kids I love the most.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The script is also way above the other Star Wars fests because it was written by Lawrence Kasdan, who also wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget his cowriter - Leigh Brackett, who also penned Hollwood classics, The Big Sleep, Rio Bravo and The Long Goodbye.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how that might put a damper on it. I was also about 11 when Empire came out. There was a three year long debate (until Jedi) about whether it was really true or not. That's how shocking it was at the time.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Empire for me was one the first sequel since Godfather II that ever took itself seriously.

Its one of those movies that moves along at a good pace, and uses almost every scene in the movie to advance to story. The sub plots are interwoven and seamless, much unlike some movies I've seen lately.

I also really love the character develpment that goes on in this movie. I think how we got to know Luke, Han, and Leia in Empire is a huge reason why the trilogy was so sucessful.