Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Tennis: Help me out here, Difference between Clay and Grass/Hard?

wtf mario tennis had me believe the ball bounces lower on clay courts. seemed more logical too.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Fed will play at a high level into his 30's a la Agassi and still be highly competitive and will win 2-4 majors after 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can any of us make a guess about how Federer will be playing in his 30s? Not many men are able to maintain their level at the very top after turning 30. Agassi's longevity certainly is the exception.

Federer certainly looks to be in terrific shape now, but injuries can happen to anyone.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:41 PM

For the record, I don't think Federer NEEDS to play into his 30's to win 20+ Grand Slams. If he wins 2 a year for the next 5 years, then he has 20.

I would say that assuming he remains in good health, 2+ a year for the next 5 years is pretty much a given.

If Federer is able to still contend for Grand Slam titles the way Agassi did until age 35, then he could very well win 25+ Grand Slams, and that would be perhaps the greatest accomplishment in sports history.

Could you imagine if Federer breaks the record for career Grand Slams by doubling the previous mark?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think Fed will play at a high level into his 30's a la Agassi and still be highly competitive and will win 2-4 majors after 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can any of us make a guess about how Federer will be playing in his 30s? Not many men are able to maintain their level at the very top after turning 30. Agassi's longevity certainly is the exception.

Federer certainly looks to be in terrific shape now, but injuries can happen to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "barring injury" along with any other unknown factors such as early retirement like Borg. Federer is in great shape and isn't a "grinder" like Nadal so he should be able to last longer. I also didn't say Federer would maintain his level now at 30, that would be pretty much impossible. I said he would stay highly competitive like Sampras and Agassi. Winning at least 2 majors after he turns 30 seems like a high probability to me. Of course this all depends on Federer staying healthy and motivated.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On clay, the ball bounces slower and higher

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of confused by the physics of this.
How can it bounce slower and higher at the same time?

I just thought that it didn't bounce as high or as fast on clay...basically that it was just 'deader'.
I don't really follow tennis that closely though.

I played on clay a couple of times back in high school though and it was really weird. Really slippery and I kept sliding all over the place nearly pulling my groin-muscle over and over again. Guess I didn't have the right shoes or I was just SO used to the traction of a concrete court that I was pretty messed up.

I don't remember if the ball bounced higher or not.
I just remember it always seeming to die on me because I was so used to concrete courts that I would wait back, it would bounce and then practically just stick there.

As I said, it was really weird.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On clay, the ball bounces slower and higher

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of confused by the physics of this.
How can it bounce slower and higher at the same time?

I just thought that it didn't bounce as high or as fast on clay...basically that it was just 'deader'.
I don't really follow tennis that closely though.

I played on clay a couple of times back in high school though and it was really weird. Really slippery and I kept sliding all over the place nearly pulling my groin-muscle over and over again. Guess I didn't have the right shoes or I was just SO used to the traction of a concrete court that I was pretty messed up.

I don't remember if the ball bounced higher or not.
I just remember it always seeming to die on me because I was so used to concrete courts that I would wait back, it would bounce and then practically just stick there.

As I said, it was really weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a player like Nadal hits a topspin forehand on clay the ball literally digs into the clay and bounces very high (more vertical). This is considered slow because the ball doesn't move "through the court" and it is easier to chase down.

On grass and hard, the ball doesn't dig into the surface and create that vertical bounce - instead it moves through the court more quickly (think horizontal)....this is what people mean by "fast"
Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM

To clarify, a top spin shot will bounce higher on clay than on hard or grass. The clay tends to "grab" the ball more, meaning the spin on the shot will be more pronounced than on hard, and especially on grass.

On grass, everything tends to "jump" through the court, as the ball tends to skip off the surface without the spin affecting the ball's path as much.

edit - I posted mine the same time as WFDeac. Well said.