Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Playing Weak Tight in a Kill Game?

Nevermind the turn, it seems to me that you might have been too passive on flop in the first place. If you have an overpair to the board, did someone bet and then you just called? I would raise that up. I think it plays much differently that way, giving you an egde to at get to showdown more confidently.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:28 PM

I will sometimes loosen up my pf raising hand requirements in mid-pos as the game tightens up considerably and you often have a good chance of getting HU. This is game-dependant, obviously (I had a player cold call K9s for two bets the other night... ?!?!?!?).
Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nevermind the turn, it seems to me that you might have been too passive on flop in the first place. If you have an overpair to the board, did someone bet and then you just called? I would raise that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

We dont have enough information to know if calling is a superior option to raising, if the pot was huge and the board is highly coordinated, someone donks and there are 2 callers - then calling is fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 PM

There's some really good advice above ... hopefully this will be as well.

You need to add another read into your "library" - those that get weak when the kill is on and those that like to gambool it up (I guess there is also a third - those that get "strong" when the kill is on). It makes a difference knowing those you can push off the pot with a 2x big bet (in their mind) and those entering with ATC or weak hands just for a chance at a kill pot. You want to be one of thise who gets strong with a kill on ... quality cards played aggressively (but then really - you're whole game should be this). Just remeber, most low limit players barely pay attention - the exception is when the kill is on.
As other's have said - it's just a bet, play your game as you would normally - but realize that there are other's at the table who see it in dollar terms - exploit where appropriate.
Take advantage of the gamboolers. They'll attack kill pots with marginal hands trying to get lucky - use the power of the increased stakes to 3-bet and isolate.
Turn up the aggression in kill pots. If your opponents are typical and only paying attention to kill pots your preflop raises have more impact.
Use the kill pots to manage your table image somewhat. Couple of weeks ago it seemed I was only getting good hands when it was the 8 seat's kill pot. He was getting visibly frustrated and began to play back at me. Good for me as I was playing premium hands and he wasn't. But after going to showdown a couple of times and seeing my big hands I used the opportunity to impress upon him (and the table) that I'm playing premium hands only - which of course set up a couple of kill pot steals by me later with garbage.
Lastly, as everyone else has said - it's just cards, bet's and pot odds for you and double stakes for everyone else. Use it to your advantage where possible.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:01 AM

I wanted to say thanks again for the advice on this. I played last night, and I made the adjustments recommended. I had a nice win, and I picked up some kill pots playing premium hands strongly. I also was able to pick off a couple of smaller kill pots when I noticed who was playing weak tight in the these pots.

Great advice as always.

Thanks,

Fitz
Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the cross post.

Thanks for advice. Adjusting the buyin makes good sense. It's a leg up structure, so I'll try that tonight.

As I thought about the particular hand I posted about, I thought of the line in HPFAP about doing all you can to win pots when they get big. Maybe the most aggravating part was that when I folded, it was heads up, and they checked down the river. 12 for a shot at 150 was a pretty bad fold on my part.

Thanks again,

Fitz

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit reading HPFAP. This is not an advanced game, and your not an advanced player (yet). Switch to Small Stakes Hold'em, you will be happier.

[/ QUOTE ] TT this is very interesting you said that about HPFAP. When do you actually read that book? I haven't read that book yet, but read every other book. I play 2/4, 3/6 online, but still think I have no need for HPFAP unless Im playing maybe 8/16 online or playing 10/20 to 20/40 Live. What do you think? I don't think I should be applying advanced skills to 6/12 or even 8/16 live b/c its just not needed there.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 PM

This is an interesting question. HPFAP is the first book I read a long time ago. I've used it as a reference book along the way. I crushed the 2/4 and 3/6 games online for a long time. Honestly, I read SSH, and it seemed to wreak havoc in my game. I'm sure it is because I have misapplied it, but it has left me a little gun shy. I have noticed the live 3/6 game plays a lot closer to the games described in that book than the 2/4 and 3/6 games online.

Good luck,

Fitz
Old 05-23-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for advice. Adjusting the buyin makes good sense. It's a leg up structure, so I'll try that tonight.

As I thought about the particular hand I posted about, I thought of the line in HPFAP about doing all you can to win pots when they get big. Maybe the most aggravating part was that when I folded, it was heads up, and they checked down the river. 12 for a shot at 150 was a pretty bad fold on my part.

Thanks again,

Fitz

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit reading HPFAP. This is not an advanced game, and your not an advanced player (yet). Switch to Small Stakes Hold'em, you will be happier.

[/ QUOTE ]

None the less you should try to win big pots. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks again,

Fitz

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] TT this is very interesting you said that about HPFAP. When do you actually read that book? I haven't read that book yet, but read every other book. I play 2/4, 3/6 online, but still think I have no need for HPFAP unless Im playing maybe 8/16 online or playing 10/20 to 20/40 Live. What do you think? I don't think I should be applying advanced skills to 6/12 or even 8/16 live b/c its just not needed there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of books you should be reading before HPFAP, its value has been greatly decreased by books that have come out after it's glory day. For example Stoxtrader's new book is the first book to fill in the blanks for you guys; blanks that have mostly been filled in over the past few years on these forums but you have to search through the archives to find the gold nuggets at this stage (the quality of limit posts lately are pretty poor compared to when i first started).

HPFAP is a good book to read when your playing full ring games where people are beginning to think, and start to use the board to attempt to outplay you. I don't recall a subject in the book that Stox and Ed Miller doesn't cover however. Of course you should read it someday, it was an amazing book for its time, but its just not as ground breaking anymore.