Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: What is the answer for boxing?

[ QUOTE ]
Answer for me is quite simple. 15 rounds. You get to see more knockouts (more strategy)...odd rounds (less likelihood of draws).

Unfortunately, 15 rounds you get more brain damage. So...damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also get more brain damage having standing 8 counts.

b
Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 PM

1) One belt per division. Seriously, having four heavyweight belts is absurd. The more you have, the less special it becomes. All they do is increase revenue for boxing due to these awesome "title fights". There should one and only one champion per weight class.

2) A better heavyweight division. There are no good heavyweight championship for Americans to associate with. Three of the four current heavyweight boxing champions were born in Eastern Europe/Asia. The other, Shannon Briggs, is a schlub. What happened to the days when we had Ali, Frazier, Foreman among other great heavyweights during the 70's? Until those days come, heavyweight boxing will continue to suck.

3) Fifteen rounds. Thirteen, eleven, whatever. Some odd number so that we aren't left with so many draws.

4) Charge fights on PPV on a per round basis. Nobody wants to pay $50 to watch some schlub get knocked out during the first round.

5) On that same note, put some of those boxing matches on regular cable TV rather than isolating them on premium and PPV channels.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) A better heavyweight division. There are no good heavyweight championship for Americans to associate with. Three of the four current heavyweight boxing champions were born in Eastern Europe/Asia. The other, Shannon Briggs, is a schlub. What happened to the days when we had Ali, Frazier, Foreman among other great heavyweights during the 70's? Until those days come, heavyweight boxing will continue to suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't necesarily the fault of boxing. As someone else mentioned, alot of it is 'americans' not being in the top. With that in mind, I wonder if boxing is a bit more popular where the champions are than here.

I think the bigger downfall for heavyweights is the multiple belts. They've really become meaningless.

b
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't necesarily the fault of boxing. As someone else mentioned, alot of it is 'americans' not being in the top. With that in mind, I wonder if boxing is a bit more popular where the champions are than here.

I think the bigger downfall for heavyweights is the multiple belts. They've really become meaningless.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. Boxing is becoming less accessible to people. Obviously when something like that goes unheard of, fewer and fewer people will be interested in becoming boxers.

If boxing has a boost in popularity in America, the talent pool of American heavyweight boxers will rise as well.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. Boxing is becoming less accessible to people. Obviously when something like that goes unheard of, fewer and fewer people will be interested in becoming boxers.

If boxing has a boost in popularity in America, the talent pool of American heavyweight boxers will rise as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then where are all these great heavyweights of america going? Note that there isn't many coming through the Olympics(I can't remember any lately). MMA certainly isn't taking these great potential heavyweights away.

I still think it's just a lull. There were many times when there was only 1 real good standout boxer in the division. This time it just happens that there aren't any americans. It's kind of like the lower weights and how popular they are in other countries. Many mexicans and asians. Though there hasn't been much american representation through their histories.

Becoming a pro boxer wasn't something that was always looked upon as achieving great status or something people looked at with awe. It's always been a shady and rough sport in the pro ranks. It's littered with losers. Kinda like the poker world with it's 'pro' players.

b
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would do so much good for the sport. First it would add a layer of transparency to the judging process that isn't there now. As it is currently, fans find out the score at the end and many are furious at the outcome. Imagine if the score in NBA games were kept secret until the final buzzer, how often would a fans at home be wrong about who won?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant and I can't believe I never thought of it before or have heard it before.

The reason it probably hasn't happened is because it would make fixing a fight's decision so much harder and let's face it, I think there have been alot of fixed decisions over the years.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then where are all these great heavyweights of america going? Note that there isn't many coming through the Olympics(I can't remember any lately). MMA certainly isn't taking these great potential heavyweights away.

I still think it's just a lull.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Scroll up, I gave you the answer in a previous post. The great heavyweights are playing football and basketball. Being an NFL linebacker is a much better occupation than a HW fighter. Ali's well documented and publicized brain damage combined with the rise of the NFL and NBA has effectively neutered the American HW prowess.

But that isn't one of the primary reasons why boxing is dying out. Those have been beaten to death in earlier posts.

J