Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: 70 players $300 buy-in first hand

If I know the tidbit you mentioned, I am beating her into the pot on the flop when she shoves. Without that information, folding the flop is ok. Also, you should either make a real reraise (to say 700) or smoothcall preflop.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:50 PM

If you are going to fold on 9-high flop then you shouldnt call her 4-bet preflop b/c you dont have the odds to flop a set.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to fold on 9-high flop then you shouldnt call her 4-bet preflop b/c you dont have the odds to flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I called I really didn't expect her to push the flop. I called preflop because I thought I was ahead. The push made me reconsider where I was. I hadn't seen enough of her play yet to know she would put her tourney life on the line betting air on the first hand.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I called I really didn't expect her to push the flop. I called preflop because I thought I was ahead. The push made me reconsider where I was. I hadn't seen enough of her play yet to know she would put her tourney life on the line betting air on the first hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wtf is she supposed to do with a pot that's almost the size of her stack?

Do you understand that every decision you made in this hand was poor and do you understand why?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:21 PM

stop n go. why smooth call 3-bet then fold to unders, horrid if u spent that much to set mine
Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Your reraise is too small, make it 700. Don't call her 4 bet if you aren't going to be playing an overpair allin on the flop.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wtf is she supposed to do with a pot that's almost the size of her stack?

Do you understand that every decision you made in this hand was poor and do you understand why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, let me see:

1) It was poor to raise because it didn't allow me to get huge odds for set mining when she raised back. For that matter, I probably would have raised any c-bet she made on the flop and she wouldn't really be able to play back w/ AK.

2) I should have folded to her reraise because most of her possible holdings (based on my understanding at the time) beat me and I don't have odds to set mine.

3) IF I wasn't planning to set mine, then the flop was ideal for me, so I should call. (I don't really believe the fold here was the mistake so much as calling preflop to begin with.)

As to WTF else she was supposed to do....if I found myself in her situation where someone called my reraise, I'm going to CF the flop when I miss. That is an incredibly dangerous bluff against someone who clearly has an overpair to the board. I guess you could say my call told her I don't have AA, but most of the people here say they would have called if they got to the turn. It's early, the blinds are small, 1500 chips isn't the end of the world and there are lots of opportunities to double (blind rounds last 30 min). Now clearly she's not me and I have to adjust for how she would play it, but her line busts her out against anyone who knows her better.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 PM

You're much better calling preflop and playing a pot with position. You likely end up in a way ahead/ way behind kind of situation and call down to maximize winnings while minimizing loses.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Just curious.... If you call PF, how do you respond to a

1. flop cb?

2. flop c/r?

3. flop c/c?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:24 AM

I understand the call preflop put me in a bad situation and I don't really like some of the answers that I would have to give. I'm assuming this was your point. Against this player (and knowing only what I knew then), my answers are:

1) c-bet - My read on her when the flop was spread was that she was strong and not acting, so I'd have to fold. (When she showed me the AK, it wasn't like "Look how I just bluffed you off the better hand!" She was saying, "Look, I'm playing value, don't mess with me." In her strange world, that action preflop meant she was ahead.

2) C/R. On that board once I would commit to even a half-pot bet I'm pot committed, so I'd call and hope for the best, but fearing the worst.

3)c/c - Gives me another chance to fire and try to take down the pot and I'd do it regardless of the turn card at this point.