Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Default 200/400 badugi hand

playing badugi at bellagio today. villain is a pretty loose/aggressive player, seemingly playing a few too many hands. he must be snowing constantly because he keeps standing pat in td and badugi, betting the river every time and never showing down a hand. he might actually be a winner in this game because noone is looking him up. i have a pretty tight image, although im sure 3betting and taking 2 killed that but ive never been caught bluffing/snowing.

3 folds, he opens in the CO, i reraise As2h-2s-4s on the BT, folded to him he calls.

he takes 1 i take 2. i catch an 8c and an A.

he bets, i call.

he takes 1 i take 1. i catch the 7s.

he bets, i call.

he pats, i take 1 and catch another A, making my hand A28-A

he bets, i raise.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: 200/400 badugi hand

I don't like your reraise with A2. Otherwise this is pretty much standard. Did you consider raising the third round?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM

why would i raise the 3rd round? i should have him a chance to snow a pat badugi so i can pull off my river play. if i raise hell be forced to give up and draw 1 to a likely better 3 card hand than mine and then of course call a river bet, or value bet a strong 3 card hand after i draw for the final round, unless youre suggesting i snow myself here. i dont think theres much value in value raising a 3 card 8 here, but i dont know how to play this game.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 PM

I am suggesting it as an alternative spot to resnow. It's not a superior one, just something else to think about.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 PM

I play Badugi sort of weird but any thought to coldcalling preflop and letting the blinds in? I feel like A2 is a good "pull" hand. I think the river is going to look suspicious but I guess if he is snowing with a better 3 card hand he can't call. That said I'm not sure why he would play a better 3 card hand this way when he could have just drawn and still value bet. I think the river could be a call given this.

-DeathDonkey
Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 PM

i felt like i could probably have gotten him to fold a ten badugi and i expect him to bet/fold a T-K because ive already called him once with a 3card hand.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play Badugi sort of weird but any thought to coldcalling preflop and letting the blinds in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cold call, but I loves da button and want everybody playing the first round or two when I have it. On the other hand, hero counts four wheel cards, so maybe getting it heads up for bluffing purposes is a good plan. Then again, drawing two hurts our bluff--let's go ahead and smooth call. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play Badugi sort of weird

[/ QUOTE ]

I do as well compared to most of you. DD and I have a lot of the same Badugi thoughts about passivity, but i don't agree with his suggestion of cold calling. I'd rather wait for a better starting hand, through this baby in the muck. But if its a choice between 3-betting and cold calling only, then DD's advice is clearly the best answer.

Problem is you dont have the immediate odds to catch 2 perfect cards, and implied odds are slim at best. With a hand like A2xx on the button your goal is really to improve to a better 3 card hand than your opponent if you cannot improve to a made Badugi. Considering your opponent you have to call in position with A25x or better if he stays pat on the last draw, you will be picking off bluffs left and right.

I never worked the odds against improving with a 2 card draw, but think of it this way - your essentially trying to catch an 8 outer (at best, its often a 4 or 5 outer )twice. Conversely keep in mind that even a KQJT Badugi is a 60% favorite if you are drawing with A23x for three rounds.

As played I wouldn't snow 3rd, but thats only because I have never found the optimal snowing frequency for this game, and until its figured out I'm keeping my snows for the river. And thats exactly what TSMDB did - I think its best that we trust his instinct on the river, I would assume the villain will call with any Badugi and muck any non-Badugi.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather wait for a better starting hand, through this baby in the muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:05 AM

I totally disagree with folding preflop. This is way more than enough hand to play with the button IMO. I'd be absolutely shocked if TStone thought it was even close to a preflop fold.

-DeathDonkey