Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: FTP $225 bubble call range against Gramps

lol this is a really simple problem...

obv you were the only one at the table so you are the only one who can come up with a viable range for gramps.

so all we can do is come up with ranges and assume that he's on X range and that we can call with Y range

bla bla bla he shoves with X you call with Y
Old 04-28-2007, 04:58 AM

Is this the hand the SB called me with ATs? I wasn't drinking, but I was 10-tabling, and I don't always get the math right on BB #s on FT games, I think I miscalculated your effective stack BBs and got a chuckle out of the result, but it probably would have been a +EV push still if SB was a tad tighter (and maybe still was). I was overpushing, I thought vuln. about 13 BB total in the BB and 10+ in the SB. Often times with these stack sizes I'll bide my time and fold very good hands. Other times, I'll gamble a little to get my stack in a more favorable position for escalating blinds. Depends on my opponents, my image, the stacks, and my pushing/folding whims. This time I chose the latter (and made a slight miscalc. in doing so), for both offensive and defensive reasons. I make plenty of old-man-multitabling-mistake pushes like this one (push it and then realize the variables were a little different than I thought), but usually, like this one, the mistake is only a small one, if one at all.

As I recall, given the players left on the bubble and how I perceived them to play, I really wanted the chips in question for the 150/300 level - even though I'd fold this hand the vast majority of the time, this looked like a spot to throw it into a (normally) tighter range. But I find if you push junk hands too often, even if it's +EV in the hand in question, it might not be worth it in the long-run because when you get caught it's a "note-making" hand, often by someone who isn't versed in SNGPT, doesn't have calling discipline on the bubble, and who doesn't understand that making a +cev call against you on the bubble with A4o is often actually very -$EV for them (and, more importantly, for you), and you pay the future price for failing to keep your opponents' calling ranges in check by giving them some free passes with your junky hands that you could squeeze a little SNGPT value out of, but don't have stack-gap benefit to them.

I don't remember who the SB was, but I guarantee you he's got a big ol' note on LuckBoxFromHell about his overpushing habits on the bubble. The other random MR'ing guy to my right probably has one too (I had just restolen over his MR in the blinds a few hands before I believe). Guess that's why you gotta push JJ, etc. in spots like this too, otherwise it's just too profitable an opportunity for observant opponents who can adjust correctly.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 AM

I'm not of sound mind right now, but I did find Gramps's response interesting, specifically the note taking comment. I feel like people take notes on me all the time, which sucks. Honestly the best thing I've done lately is change my FTP avatar every couple days, just because I think people associate players with avatars instead of notes sometimes. This means when they see me shove, they may look at the screenname and not register that it's me the first time I use an avatar. For example, I know Gramps is the white dog, and if I quickly glanced at the screenname and it was a random avatar, I wouldn't register it at first. I'm sure other people do this as well.

One more interesting thing is the amount of hands I can call with profitably even if I know he's shoving 100%. I can only call with 77+,AQo+,ATs+. I seriously doubt he's shoving 100% here, but even if he is I can only call 7% of the time.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:30 AM

I don't see any reasoning behind pushing AA a % of the time because how many times are you going to be in the same situation against the same opponent who makes the call such a small % of the time anyway to show that sometimes you open push AA rather than value raise everytime.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:58 AM

Hey Gramps, what did you end up pushing? I'm still quite confused with parts of your post. Otherwise, thanks!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Curtains and Gramps posts are very good.
Bengiec,
Considering several people on this forum have played a lot with Gramps, a lot of people can put him on accurate ranges. Playing with Gramps briefly probably like 300-400 sngs with him, I definitely noticed that he overpushed a lot and when he did I was very uncomfortable putting him on a range.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Gramps, what did you end up pushing? I'm still quite confused with parts of your post. Otherwise, thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

he pushed JJ (i think thats what he is saying) so in these situations thinking players like z32 cant take JJ+ out of his range when deciding what to call with. it also allows him to broaden his range and push 87s here if he wants to.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 PM

does gramps sometimes raise with JJ ?

thats when it gets scary
Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 PM

nice post gramps.....[censored]
Old 04-28-2007, 06:44 PM

this is one of the best threads in STTF for awhile btw