Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Playing big stack with 5 players left.

Ok, theres 5 players left in a $16 stars SNG. The blinds are 200/400. You have 4000 chips as does the player to your left. The other three guys have around 1800 each and its folded to you in the small blind.

Now Ive been playing around in SnG power tools and ive worked out that game theory wise in the small blind we should push 100% and if we were the guy in the BB we should call 5.7%. (I think this is right)

However this is whats confusing me: if we push 100% and the BB increases his calling range to say 20%, not only will it reduce his equity, it will also significantly reduce ours.

So whats the best strategy for us? Is it to push 100% and then write in the chat bar "You should only call 5.7%!"?

If we try to estimate his range based on his play we'r gonna have difficulty too. If hes call 11% we should raise 96% but if hes calling 16% this plummets to us raising 22%. How can we estimate accuratly enough.

So any help much appreciated. Im a bit of a noob at SnGs so go easy on me. I guess there are loads of these situations where villain can damage our chances by sacrificing himself. How do we deal with it?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Playing big stack with 5 players left.

Just push every hand on SBvsBB. After a few pushes tight a little bit.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Playing big stack with 5 players left.

If the stack on the BB (were on SB) is equal to us I'm not shoving ATC when its 5 handed.

Edit: I do shove wide, but it seems like the bottom % of hands wouldn't be profitable here.