Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Default AJhh Turn Line FPS.

Villain is a decent TAG. Hero's image is also that of a TAG.

Have been playing a while but have rarely clashed. UTG and a player that just left are the money and both of Hero and Villain are significantly up.

2 hands ago Hero 3bet from BB then checked flop and check folded turn.

On Game, 5/10, 5 handed.

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in CO

MP raises, Hero 3bets, Blinds fold, MP calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP checks, Hero bets, MP calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP checks, Hero checks and intends to call any river (except an Ace obv).

Reasoning: I cant fold at any point. Bluff induction, and cheaper showdown at the same time.

Villain's Ace-range is reduced as he generally lets me know if he has an Ace on the flop. He will cap most PPs preflop, and those he wont cap he will fold on the flop.

Therefore his hand range is primarily Qx, KJ-T.

Against this range (provided we accept folding isnt an option), we minimise losses vs Qx and maximise winnings from river bluff induction. We lose value (1BB) from weaker A9-7, its hard to say how this effects our +ev vs PPs due to folding/betting possibilities.

Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: AJhh Turn Line FPS.

actually it's QJ-QT vs KJ-KT, and thus more K combos. Does he really open with Q9? He could also have A9s and just calling down?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM

If he's a decent TAG, then your turn check probably indicates that you're calling a river bet or you've completely given up on a junky hand that has little/no value on this board. Do you have information that makes you think he bluffs too often?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:04 PM

if you feel confident in your read on him, I think it's fine.

I think it'd be sexy as hell though if he knew that your check turn means you give up or have a marginal hand that you'd value bet on the river if checked again, and check/raise =X.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 PM

This is quite technical. I've read it a few times and I still don't get it. Why not bet the turn?

If he has a queen don't you think villain would have bet turn or at leact check raise in which case you fold. This costs 1 bet, same as calling down the river.

If he doesn't have a queen you hardly want to give him a free card.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM

You're protecting yourself from a checkraise from a better hand against a "solid" player, and you're increasing the likelihood that a worse hand is going to attempt a bluff to fold you out of the pot. This all goes out the window of course if villian checks the river; then you've either lost a bet on the turn or villian's one step ahead of you and is going to c/r the river [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The pot is relatively small and there's not an "obvious" draw here that villian would be holding on to from the flop, so unless he backdoored something it's not a big deal giving a free card.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you feel confident in your read on him, I think it's fine.

I think it'd be sexy as hell though if he knew that your check turn means you give up or have a marginal hand that you'd value bet on the river if checked again, and check/raise =X.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the one problem with checking. A TAG isn't gonna comply and just bet the river. A LAG might not either but I'm more then willing to call a river check/raise against him since you'll see KT and KJ way too often. A common line for a missed turn check/raise is to check again since Ax won't check it twice.

It isn't like all your problems are solved by betting the turn though. You run into the same problems on 4th as you do on 5th since the 2nd queen is such a good card for him.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:32 PM

I agree here w/ the range assessment, but if hero throws a bet in on the turn do the Kx hands call w/ gutshots? If hero bets given the A-kicker read, villian can really only be folding or raising.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 PM

In which case aren't you advocating a turn bet (my point in previous post)?

I guess 5/10 refers to dollars, not cents.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 PM

Given hero's read, I like his play. W/O a read I bet the turn.