Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Semantics - atheism

In your opinion, could I validly state that:

"It is certainly 100% correct to be an atheist; if new information means that a creator becomes a reasonable hypothesis, the idea will move from one of theism to one of science, and atheism is still correct"

Or is this overly stretching the definition of theism?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Semantics - atheism

Your definition of "creator" in the first part of the sentence fully determines the logical correctness of the second part of the sentence. How are you defining "creator?"
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In your opinion, could I validly state that:

"It is certainly 100% correct to be an atheist; if new information means that a creator becomes a reasonable hypothesis, the idea will move from one of theism to one of science, and atheism is still correct"

Or is this overly stretching the definition of theism?

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesnt seem right to me. I think atheism is believing there is no god. If information came to light to make it reasonable to believe in God, it would be incorrect to remain an atheist imo.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:59 PM

1. Does creator=god? What makes an entity god or a god?

2. If evidence came to light that proved the existence of god then it would be no longer be correct to be atheist. Are you equating "believing in science" to being atheist? Maybe I don't understand what you're asking.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 AM

I am crazy about science and consider myself a logicholic.

If science came up with proof that Santa Claus indeed did exist and was living on the North-pole, I would still not believe in Santa Claus.
Even if I would be the last person on Earth who would not believe it and even when I would see Santa coming down from the sky with his sled and rein-deers, landing before me, and asking me:"Do you now believe?"

I would still not believe.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 AM

I meant 'creator' in a loose sense, including the hypothesised 'God' of the Christians. I would want the definition to be loose because I never understood why anyone narrows it down.

E.g. if a creator was discovered that was similar to the Christian God, he almost certainly wouldn't actually be literally omnipotent, since its such a silly characteristic. But I'm sure they would adjust and say the omnipotence in the Bible was metaphorical or relative.

I'm not intending to base the phrasing on any current religion. I could possibly say 'conciouness more advanced than ours, who created us', but I don't see any reason to be more specific (but then I know what I'm thinking about [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Part of the question is whether theism is defined as requiring faith, if that is the case then a discovered creator is an atheistic creator.

I'm not intending a premise that 'believing in science (/knowledge)' is a synonym for atheism, althought there is an obvious equivalence.

I think that part of my intention would be a neat illustration to the non-philosophically minded that atheists are not closed minded: Since I, and most atheists that post on here, would I'm sure be intrigued to read about the discovery of higher intelligence and valid creation hypothesis, if that hypothesis was intellectually honest.

In summary, to all natural-language intents and purposes,

If:
1) Mythology describes storys considered to be fantasy.
2) If X is accepted mythology.
3) X is discovered true

then either

A) X is no longer mythology but science (/knowledge).
B) We update 1) to say myths can be true.

In the case of mythology I think we will agree that (A) is practiced. So can we swap the word mythology for theism and consider (A) would be correct if our knowledge was updated?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 AM

FWIW, I don't think there is anything about theism that requires faith. Most earthly versions include that caveat, but it is certainly not necessary. This kind of demolishes your argument, though, so feel free to disagree.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM

I will reword your statement so it works.

"Science indicates it is 100% correct to be an atheist; if new information means that a creator becomes a reasonable hypothesis, the idea will move from one of theism to one of science, and science is still correct"
Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will reword your statement so it works.

"Science indicates it is 100% correct to be an atheist; if new information means that a creator becomes a reasonable hypothesis, the idea will move from one of theism to one of science, and science is still correct"

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on, much better.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I don't think there is anything about theism that requires faith. Most earthly versions include that caveat, but it is certainly not necessary. This kind of demolishes your argument, though, so feel free to disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you please explain how theism does not require faith? Just wondering.