Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Worst ... rule ... ever

So, here in FL, the only places to play are at dog/horse tracks and Indian Reservations. Max big bet is $2. NL tourneys exist, but the rakes are 25%+

Aside from all that ridiculousness, here's the situation I was in early in a MTT.

Blinds are 50/100, I have ~1600 chips remaining. UTG+1 raises to 300. I'm in MP, look down to AK. I verbally announce raise. I put my 300 in to call and look at my remaining stack, at which point I announce all-in and proceed to push the rest of my stack in the middle.

I'm interrupted by the dealer who informs me that my raise must be a min-raise because, regardless of the vagueness of my verbal indications (never indicated to what I was raising), I made 2 motions to the pot and I must min-raise. I protest, so the pit tool comes over and enforces the rule.

In case you care, the rest of the hand was:

Original raiser flat calls and the flop comes 8 high. He pushes, and I have to fold. He says he had QQ.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Worst ... rule ... ever

I think that's a pretty terrible rule, and a pretty terrible flop fold.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM

So the rule saved you money then. Nice.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:34 PM

Terrible flop fold? AK is only best preflop. Once the flop hits and you miss, it's junk with 2 to come. AK's biggest strength is the fold equity you gain by pushing preflop with it.

I lost a lot of +EV in my AK the second they made me min-raise. I thought my chips would go in better later in the game and I was wrong (wound up all in the next round with pocket 3's and M<5)

Honestly, I tilt-folded ... I'm more surprised I didn't tilt-call.

What makes calling the all in after the flop completely misses you the right thing to do?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the rule saved you money then. Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda, but not necessarily. River could have been an Ace, just like online. j/k, kinda ...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Terrible ruling. I don't know if 2.3-1 is good enough to make that call.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible flop fold? AK is only best preflop. Once the flop hits and you miss, it's junk with 2 to come. AK's biggest strength is the fold equity you gain by pushing preflop with it.

I lost a lot of +EV in my AK the second they made me min-raise. I thought my chips would go in better later in the game and I was wrong (wound up all in the next round with pocket 3's and M<5)

What makes calling the all in after the flop completely misses you the right thing to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

What range did you put the guy on preflop? I think he pretty much never has AA or KK here, based on how he played it. I think by making a fuss rather than accepting the minraise, you have shown that you have a medium strength hand, and your opponent can take advantage by stop and going you (not that I blame you for making a fuss, this is obv a huge part of the damage of bad rulings, they require the player to reveal hand strength often).

Giving a range of QQ-77, AQ+, AJs+, KQs and a flop of 853r, AKo has 47% equity.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What range did you put the guy on preflop? I think he pretty much never has AA or KK here, based on how he played it. I think by making a fuss rather than accepting the minraise, you have shown that you have a medium strength hand, and your opponent can take advantage by stop and going you (not that I blame you for making a fuss, this is obv a huge part of the damage of bad rulings, they require the player to reveal hand strength often).

Giving a range of QQ-77, AQ+, AJs+, KQs and a flop of 853r, AKo has 47% equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I wouldn't have beat myself up over calling either, FYI. But given the situation, I felt folding was best.

I've seen this guy around before, but I doubt he's a big reader of 2+2 or other materials (written or digital) so I'm not sure he was going for the stop and go. I honestly believe he had QQ ... although my reasons for folding was that I definitely put him on a PP, so I have 6 outs and 2 to come. Not the odds I prefer.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM

I hope that next time you follow the "rule".
Horrible or not, you are stuck with it.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Not a great rule, but certainly not the worst rule ever. If you knew what the rule was you would have accepted the ruling or acted differently.