Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Indiana specifically Criminalizing Poker Rooms

Ok...Indianapolis has cracked down on underground poker rooms...and at least one really good one got shut down.

Many Indiana poker rooms outside of Indy have continued operating within the boundaries of (what they believe is stated in) Indiana law since Indianapolis got cocky. Some of these poker rooms are so confident of their place within the law that they operate with huge glass windows stating what they are to the outside public and do not get shut down. At least one I can think of is within two blocks of the local police department.

Now, in an attempt to control illegal slot machines in bars, a new Indiana law heading toward the state senate apparently outlaws several things (specifically the slots, but including the poker rooms,) as games of chance.

I live in Indiana and would like to contact my senator about this. I have been unable to find anything on the local news sites (where I saw the story,) or the Indiana General Assembly website.

Before I proceed, did I interpret this story correctly? If so, what is the bill # for inclusion in my letter?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Indiana specifically Criminalizing Poker Rooms

Bump
Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 AM

Check out:
http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=6294250

As for a Senate bill, I can't find one listed. The apparently voted for it in committee on Monday but it doesn't seem to be listed on http://www.in.gov/legislative/
Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out:
http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=6294250

As for a Senate bill, I can't find one listed. The apparently voted for it in committee on Monday but it doesn't seem to be listed on http://www.in.gov/legislative/

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the story I saw on last night's news (same channel as your link) was an update to the other story...but nothing new on the website yet. It made it sound like they were looking to vote later this week or early next week.

I also have looked around on that gov site to no avail. Perhaps I misunderstood last night's news story.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Are you a member of the IPC? They were who got busted.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you a member of the IPC? They were who got busted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had played there. I was upset when it was shut down but not at all surprised. I'm glad I wasn't playing when it was raided.

I got a little more info from my State Rep. The bill plans to fund 25 new excise cops for the purpose of enforcing the gambling laws. The primary focus is the Cherrymaster poker machines in bars but it covers all illegal gambling. The bill has not been brought to the floor yet as far as I know. I'll post an update if I hear anymore.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:50 PM

I should also mention this post headline is a bit misleading. Poker rooms in Indiana are illegal. Even your home poker game with friends is illegal. This bill is simply going to add cops to help enforce those laws
Old 04-04-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should also mention this post headline is a bit misleading. Poker rooms in Indiana are illegal. Even your home poker game with friends is illegal. This bill is simply going to add cops to help enforce those laws

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is also a bit misleading. There's a reason State cops (the actual bust took place by Indianapolis PD) hadn't busted places like IPC before...the law regarding poker in Indiana is very vaguely written. Kokomo has (maybe had...I dunno) a poker room open up that even got a front page story in the newspaper without worry of legal consequence. As stated in my original post (I know the people so I am avoiding naming the location) there is another room that has large windows FACING THE COUNTY COURTHOUSE that say it is a poker room...it is only 2 or 3 blocks from the police station.

Even if poker roooms in Indiana are "illegal" the laws covering it are so poorly written that places like this exist with little fear of repercussion, and police do not bust them because they know their charges will not hold up.

(Indianapolis being the now obvious exception. Even there, police officers were playing at IPC when it got busted and were advised by their union to seek legal counsel because, they said, it is unclear whether a place like IPC is illegal or not. That's right...the police officers union advised off-duty officers that they were probably not breaking the law.)
Old 04-04-2007, 04:44 PM

I don't know. The laws look pretty clear to me but I'm not a lawyer. And just because cops played at IPC doesn't mean they thought it was legal. The only part of the law that is vague is whether or not poker is a game of chance. Indiana law does have a skill regard for gambling that poker could fall into. Unfortunately there has yet to be any precedent to state one way or the other.

I'm not familiar with a poker room in Kokomo but it is possible there are laws at the county level that make it legal. All I know is what is written at the State level.

I just found this about the new legislation:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...WS02/704030467
Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Here is information on the House Bill 1510
Actual bill
and
Main bill information