Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Help me gain 10-15 lbs of muscle by July.

This is an actual PM I sent to someone on here, but their PM box is full. I'll let you guys give a go at it...

In an effort to not clutter OOT with another workout regimen I figured I'd ask you as you seem fairly knowledgable, at least I hope so.

I'm looking to gain upper body muscle, I'd like to gain 10 lbs of solid upper body muscle by July. I'd like to focus on chest, biceps, triceps, deltoids, and back. I'm not as concerned about my lower body at the moment, which sucks, but that's how it is.

Background on me:

6'5" 195
20% body fat

Workouts: (not limited to...)

Bench Press: 120lbs 8x
Preacher Curl: 70lbs 8x
Dumbell Curls: 40 lbs, both arms, 8-10x
Triceps cable pull down: 80lbs 8-10x
Lat Pull: 100-110lbs 8-10x

Here are a few examples of what I'm doing for weight on various machines. I could list a bunch more, but I'm not sure if our definitions of the machines would correspond with one another.

Like I said earlier, I'm mainly interested in building muscle. I play basketball, and ride the bike four days per week, about 30-45 minutes each. I'm not worried about muscle definition as I know I will gain it when I'm losing fat, and gaining muscle.

I'd like some insight on what exercises you recommend for me based off my goal(s). Obviously bench press, bicep curls, and tricep curls come to mind. However, being the experienced lifter that you are, what are some other alternatives that will give me one hell of a work out.

Lastly, give me an idea about using things such as Creatine, and Whey protein. What other supplements (non roid) can I use that will help with the process?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Help me gain 10-15 lbs of muscle by July.

Squats and deadlifts. I know you don't want to hear it, but there it is.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Squats-P.../dp/0926888005
Old 01-31-2007, 08:10 PM

At 20% body fat I'd be concerned about being fatter than I'd like, but here's the basic guideline to build muscle. You can easily gain 10 pounds of muscle over a couple months.

1) You need to lift. Squats, deadlifts, bench press are the meat, and stuff like pullups (assisted even), dips, pushups I'd definitely do as well. Feel free to do your arm stuff as well, and lat pulldown is fine. I like lunges.

2) You need to eat. A lot. And eat protein. A couple scoops of whey is 50g of protein and will go along way towards getting enough protein. Drink it after your workout. You'll also want to eat probably ~500 calories over maintenance. If you're not gaining weight eat more, if you're gaining weight too quickly eat less.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 PM

losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously=not really possible unless you're on cycle or using gh, igf, or insulin
Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 PM

HST

Follow the routine on the website. Even the lower-body stuff you fat baby. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I personally wouldn't be thinking of trying to bulk up when you are 20% body fat, but to each his own I guess.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM

let me guess, you sent it to guids?

i am also trying to gain 15 lbs by july or even sooner if possible.

from what I have found over the years is that everyone focuses on the excercise part, hiring personal trainers, etc when really 80% of the equation is your diet.

I will give you the easiest answer you will ever hear.

If you follow this 100%, you can gain 15 lbs by July no problem. Just 3 little steps.

1. stimulate the muscle (workout)
2. feed the muscle (eat enough calories to grow)
3. rest the muscle (a)get enough sleep and b)enough rest to the muscles between workouts)

That is it. I have found it makes very little difference what exactly your workout program is, AS LONG AS you change it up once in a while, stick to the core exercises (as listed above) and work out hard, ie push yourself with each workout.

A little more into the nutrition now: typical skinny guy quote: "man, I can't put on any weight, I workout 7 days a week, eat SOOOO much protein, everyone else must be on roids, this sucks"

Then when you ask how much he is eating it is either a) "I have no idea" or b) it turns out he is eating 2000 calories when he needs 4000 to gain weight.

You can workout like arnold but won't put on weight if you don't consume enough calories.

Good luck!! I am not even going to get into supplements as I am tired but protein and creatine wouldn't be a bad start.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously=not really possible unless you're on cycle or using gh, igf, or insulin

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, op should be able to do both at the same time.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) You need to eat. A lot. And eat protein. A couple scoops of whey is 50g of protein and will go along way towards getting enough protein. Drink it after your workout. You'll also want to eat probably ~500 calories over maintenance. If you're not gaining weight eat more, if you're gaining weight too quickly eat less.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so correct. Just go to an online site and find your maintenance calories and do 500 more than that. I would guess to grow you will be needing 4000-4500 calories a day, perhaps near 5000. This is A LOT of food if you eat clean. Protein shakes can help here as that many calories in real food would be impossible for me. I am at ~4000 a day and am always feeling full. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM

If you are unconditioned, then you should be able to put on fat and gain muscle at the same time. It isn't until you are in the iron game for a while that you reach a point where you cannot effectively do both.