Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 AM

Default WHICH IS BEST LINE AGAINST VILLAINS RANGE

Effective stacks are $400. $2/$4 NL FR on FT. Sorry, the new HHs won't convert so I recreated it manually. The question is in bold.

David Chiu limps (he's an Asian donkament expert or something) and I make it $20 in the SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (I think I only raised because he was a damn donkament expert. I think I should've completed and not raised, but whatever).

Villain calls BB. I've seen him on a few different tables and I'm pretty sure he's a nitty nut peddler. I think I've raised his limps from the button fairly frequently and gotten him to fold.

Donkament expert folds and it's heads up. Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I think Villains cold-calling range is AK, AQ, maybe AJ, 22-JJ and maybe QQ, and I think he'll most likely reraise AA and KK preflop.

Anyway, I CB $32 into $44 pot and he calls. The turn is 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], giving me the flush draw. Is a second barrel best here? I'm leaning towards him having a good ace most of the time, but it's possible I was floated, or more likely than that, called by a hand like JJ or something.

What do you think? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: WHICH IS BEST LINE AGAINST VILLAINS RANGE

If donkament expert is a read you probably weren't floated. That said, against a lot of people, a second barrel is good here. Preflop raise is horrible.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:58 AM

C/push was my first thought.

It's a pretty strong line, totally consistant with a flopped set or AK. The more likely he is to bet/fold a hand like AQ/AJ, the more I like this line. Also, the less likely he is to slowplay, the better.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 AM

c/r allin on turn. If he checks behind c/r allin on river..
Old 01-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Yeah I like CRing alling better than check/call c/f or leading.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If donkament expert is a read you probably weren't floated. That said, against a lot of people, a second barrel is good here. Preflop raise is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donkament expert isn't Villain.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a pretty strong line, totally consistant with a flopped set or AK. The more likely he is to bet/fold a hand like AQ/AJ, the more I like this line. Also, the less likely he is to slowplay, the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't see him folding AK, though. What can I rep? Granted, I'm new to FT and he probably doesn't have a huge read on me, but repping a set will be hard. So will A9o. I also agree his range is primarily sets and AK and I can't see him folding either of those. If he has a hand like KK-TT then I can see him folding to a second barrel. The check-push turn is good against a folding AK/AQ or a floater/KK-TT hand, but I can't see him folding a hand he's betting here. I think most of those check behind and don't bet river too often.

I also really hate check-call river for a couple of obvious reasons. I'm convincing myself 2nd barrel is better. Thanks to Jim for explaining his arguments.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I like CRing alling better than check/call c/f or leading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you like check-call? Edit: If I have his range weighted towards set/AQ+, hands which won't fold to a turn bet, but will likely raise, and will also likely pay off a river CRAI, then a check-call is clearly superior to double barreling because I don't want to be blown off my disguised draw by a hand which frequently raises turn? And I should save my double barrels here for opponents who are much looser and prone to floating?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Anyways, according to my math, I only need to make $122 on a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river when I hit, which I can easily do against sets with a CRAI. I'm still kinda weary about checking this river against this guy, so maybe a bet? Pot will be almost twice that by river, so maybe a healthy PSB will do the trick?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Either bet 3/4 pot again or c/f.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Dude I hate check/call. Just saying check raising is better than all possible options in a round about way. And what happened to your skeme account?